Transmission/Sonarr permission problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeybutt

Dabbler
I am having trouble getting permissions setup probably with Transmission and Sonarr. I have been messing with it for a while so I am in the middle of a chicken and egg type scenario at the moment. Long story short, when I first setup Transmission, I got it so files would download with full read/write/execute permissions so I could access and delete as needed from a network folder. An example of file permissions are like so:

33 drwxrwxrwx 2 root wheel 8 Dec 19 08:37

Then I installed Sonarr, and the first file I tried to download ended up getting an error "Sonarr: No files found are eligible for import in /filepath/" which made me think it was a permission issue with Sonarr.

I went to check the downloaded file's permissions and they were:

32257 -rw-rw-rw- 1 921 wheel 1513308160 Dec 19 18:18

Now even files that I manually add to Transmission come back with only read/write permissions. I have no idea where to go from here.

I found this guide https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/ which I figured would solve my problem, but the changes I made seemed to make no difference. I have no idea why the new files I download are not getting full read/write/execute permissions.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I have it manually set for Transmission files to download as 777, and umask is definitely set to "0" in settings.json. Something else seems to be interfering.

Last edited:
I used to run into all sorts of issues like these. What I ended up doing was installing SAB/Sonarr/CP/HP/Trans all in the same jail manually and specifying them to all run as the same user, using the same locations for downloads and etc.. Then whatever user you set these softwares to run as you make a corresponding user in FreeNAS and own the datasets to that same user. For example a user called "media" with a UID of 1002 in FreeNAS and a user called "media" with a UID of 1002 in the jails with the softwares. Then you only have to mount the media datasets to one jail and whatnot, updating is easier, and its just plain less confusing. It works out just as a dream.. When root is the owner of the files, and 921 wants to do reads/writes to the files, by design FreeNAS doesnt allow it.

Last edited:

monkeybutt

Dabbler
I used to run into all sorts of issues like these. What I ended up doing was installing SAB/Sonarr/CP/HP/Trans all in the same jail manually and specifying them to all run as the same user, using the same locations for downloads and etc.. Then whatever user you set these softwares to run as you make a corresponding user in FreeNAS and own the datasets to that same user. For example a user called "media" with a UID of 1002 in FreeNAS and a user called "media" with a UID of 1002 in the jails with the softwares. Then you only have to mount the media datasets to one jail and whatnot, updating is easier, and its just plain less confusing. It works out just as a dream.. When root is the owner of the files, and 921 wants to do reads/writes to the files, by design FreeNAS doesnt allow it.

Does the user need to then own the entire dataset? Or just the directory in which Transmission will download?

You should be able to do it either way. I personally have that user own the entire dataset(s) recursively as its only me and no other user using this system. root or an admin can own the "entire dataset", then go in via ssh and chown the specific download directories to your "magic user".

monkeybutt

Dabbler
FINALLY got everything working using solution 2 from the linked guide. I must have messed something up the first time I set it up. Thanks John.

FINALLY got everything working using solution 2 from the linked guide. I must have messed something up the first time I set it up. Thanks John.

You got it pal. Glad everything worked out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.