Transferring Files to My Storage Pool Causes Machine to Reboot

koberulz

Dabbler
Just got my new custom-built box set up, created my storage pool, and started copying files across from my PC. But every time I do, I get an unscheduled system reboot.

4x WD Red 20TB, Fractal Design 7 XL, ASUS PRIME B660M-A D4, Intel Core i3 12100, Cooler Master MWE Gold 1250 V2 Full Modular, 32GB RAM.

Last edited:

koberulz

Dabbler
I have looked at the logs, but I don't see anything obvious. I don't know what kernel panic is.

Davvo

MVP
If you don't see anything obvious in the logs could it be a power issue when the disk start writing?

NugentS

MVP
When you built the machine did you:
1. Thoroughly test the memory - run memtest for a minimum 24 hours
2. Thoroughly test the HDD's before putting them in a pool and using them.
3. As much as possible test the rest of the components

I note that the NIC is Intel - but I cannot immediately find out which chipset but it is a gamer board so it probably one of the less standard Intel chipsets.

Core or Scale?

Is that a 1250W PSU?

koberulz

Dabbler
Welp, failed memtest. Off to RMA a second set of RAM, after my first set of RAM wouldn't even POST.

Ran SMART tests on the drives, which led to having to RMA one of those before I even got to this step.

This setup is cursed.

NugentS

MVP
LOL
Always thrash the living crap out of a new build (wether new parts or old parts) before throwing live data at it.

koberulz

Dabbler
I didn't even mention that when my first set of 20TB Reds showed up, it was just a single 1TB Black...

koberulz

Dabbler
Took the problematic RAM stick back to where I bought it from, they ran memtest and it passed with flying colors.

So, uh...now what?

Davvo

MVP
Took the problematic RAM stick back to where I bought it from, they ran memtest and it passed with flying colors.

So, uh...now what?
RMA the motherboard.

NugentS

MVP
Depending on your motherboard - will it run with just one stick?
If so put in one stick and memtest
Then test in another slot till all slots are tested - use the stick that was tested externally. This way you test each slot with a known good stick.
If a slot fails - then test with a different stick

See if you can track down the problem that way