BUILD My First NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghendi

Cadet
Hello,
I'm new to this scene although I have been peeking over the playground wall quite a lot over the past year. I have several questions that I could not find the answers to by searching google.
I'll start off with my build:
The total pre-expansion comes out to ~$1275, and then another ~$570 to expand with another 4 drives and a raid controller, coming to a total of ~$1850.

The NAS will also take on the role of a centralized home/office server. I am quite new to the Virtual Machine world, but the idea is to run ESXI and have a firewall VM (possibly pfSense), FreeNAS VM, and possibly a Windows OS VM for other things like a hosting a Ventrilo (or other VoIP) server, FTP server, Torrents and JDownloader...

It will be storing mainly media (movies, music, family photo albums, etc.) but also sensitive documents that I have digitized (both business and personal). Since that is the case, I thought about setting up the box to run a Raid-Z2 with vdevs of 3TBx4 hard drives providing 5.5TB of storage per vdev. Every time I add HDDs, I will do so in increments of 4 HDDs to the same pool.

Please let me know if there is any component that I should change. I believe all the components are compatible, but if anyone has information that says otherwise, I would greatly appreciate your advice. Is the system build too much or too little? The idea is that it holds up for as long as possible, without going overkill. Money is not an issue, although it's not like I have much more than this to spend on it (I specifically saved up for this project). Is the HDD setup correct or would it be better to do it another way?

The IPMI KVM over IP should provide me with the visual in case I need to connect to the server, although I'm not entirely sure if I can connect to the server, then choose which VM to access, and then control the server (?). I have used VNC and others in the past so I'm comparing it to that, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Would I need to set it up initially by connecting the box to a monitor? If so, then I would need a video card since the motherboard and CPU don't have an integrated one.

Hmmm.... I am trying to think if I am missing something, but I am coming up blank. If there is anything please let me know.

I thank you all for your help!!

Respectfully,

Ghendi

Edit: I remembered one thing: Should I connect my HDDs to the 2 SATA 6.0Gbps and then two more to the controller card? Or should I connect all HDDs to the SATA 6.0 Gbps on the controller card, and leave the motherboard ones free for the future upgrade of perhaps a L2ARC and/or ZIL SSDs? If so, then I could use two break-out cables for a total of 8 HDDs onto the controller card and leave the motherboard's SATAs free.

titan_rw

Guru
Please read:

[url]http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?12484-Please-do-not-run-FreeNAS-in-production-as-a-Virtual-Machine![/URL]

aka, Don't virtualize freenas if you value your data.

Also, a highpoint rocketraid may not be the best choice in raid cards for freenas. Does it support IT (initiator target) mode? Most 'raid' cards get in the way of the direct access freenas wants to the drives. A recommended card around here that can act as a simple sata / sas controller, is the rebranded LSI card known as the IBM serveraid m1015. Normally about $100 for 8 ports of freenas 'approved' HDD ports.

ghendi

Cadet
Ok, so taking virtualization off the table, I could have a small low powered box running a firewall. Then would this setup still make sense for a NAS?

Replacing the HighPoint ROCKETRAID with IBM ServeRAID M1015 although pricing seems to be revolving $300 (?).

Also, would adding 1 or 2 external 4TB HDDs such as Seagate 4TB Black External Hard Drive STBV4000100 to backup specific directories once week make sense? Or should I go about this doing it a different way? Was also thinking of doing a cloud-based backup as an additional backup for the documentation that I will be storing on the NAS.

Thanks for the link and the reply!

-Ghendi

Edit: Ahh, okay, eBay has it for ~$120. Although, there are some listed as 46M0831, 46M0864, 46M0861 (?). Is there a correct one?

Status
Not open for further replies.