Transfer Speed issue on windows

Sarunce

Dabbler
Hello

I have a issue with transfering speeds from Win10PC (smb) to the TrueNAS.
I have R710 server with 12Cores and 32gb memory, with 4x4tb drives on zfs for 10.9TB storage capasity and 120gb cache SSD.
When i start transfering files its all ok transfer speeds are at 112MB/s form my Win10 PC but then after some time it dips to 13.5MB/s and stays there but if i go in to TrueNas/Network(tab)/ interfaces and select any interface and go edit and without changing anything just presing apply then test changes and save it, transfer speed go back up to 100+MB/s.
Maybe any one knows why its doing this? Help would be very greatfull.

Just to let you all know im new to all this so dont think i will know all the ins and out of the TrueNAS :)

I do think i have something set up wrong just dont know what it could be as at first it looks like its running no problem.

c77dk

Patron
Which version of TrueNAS? And how is your pool setup?

Sarunce

Dabbler
Version is: TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1
And Pool is 4x4tb drives plus 120gb cache i think i used raidz1 for the drives as i have 10tb storage in total with one drive in case a fail

c77dk

Patron
Those drives - which make+model are they? Just making sure they're not WD REDs :smile:

Sarunce

Dabbler
They are Seagate Iron Wolf 4TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive 5900RPM 64MB Cache :smile:
I think they are OK

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Those drives - which make+model are they? Just making sure they're not WD REDs :smile:
Depends on the year and make. Older REDs are OK (i.e. CMR), the newer ones should not be allowed to be marketed as "NAS" drives because they're DM-SMR. So the actual SKU matters.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Are you reading data from the Nas or writing data? Is this all wired Ethernet? What hba do you have?

Sarunce

Dabbler
Im writing to it, its wired network 1gb all of it and the system is conected with 1gb link i can see that in the dashboard of trueNAS
and the hba is H200i.
As i say its something not right there if i just reaply the setings for network car while its moving data the same time i pres apply it jumps back up to 100+MB/s transfer speed

Sarunce

Dabbler
This is how it looks.
that dip is drop to 11.4MB/s and around it is 100+MB/s
As you can see its started at proper speed then droped, I re-applyed network settings and it went back up

Attachments

• Issue.jpg
    Issue.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 179

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Are these files all the same size or are we looking at a mix? Small files can cause significant dips in throughput.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Are these files all the same size or are we looking at a mix? Small files can cause significant dips in throughput.
Maybe but my guess is something with the "cach" drive that probably doesn't need to be there or network complexity that doesn't need to be there

Sarunce

Dabbler
It is doing the same thing on what ever I try to move in to it most of the files was big movie files

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Start removing variables.
1. Remove any tunables you set. Test
2. Remove cach drive, test
3. Direct connect your PC to Nas. Test

One of these things will probably give you better results.

Sarunce

Dabbler
OK i will try that and let you know. But just to add more info I was copying data from the NAS to my PC just to see how it is and I copied 1tb of data it newer droped bellow 100MB/s

And I will not be testing option #3 as my pc is upstairs and the server is downstairs on the other side of the house

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
OK i will try that and let you know. But just to add more info I was copying data from the NAS to my PC just to see how it is and I copied 1tb of data it newer droped bellow 100MB/s

And I will not be testing option #3 as my pc is upstairs and the server is downstairs on the other side of the house
Got a laptop or different computer to test with for step 3 or maybe just a different computer on the same network. Let's hope you 1 or 2 solve the problem.

Sarunce

Dabbler
Sorry it had taken me so long to reply but i have tried everything now i think i even started from scratch with the TRUENAS and still geting same issue
Just dont know what to do any more something must be wring with my Dell R710

sretalla