File transfer speed discrepancy

Berkyjay

Contributor
So I'm moving files from a Raspberry Pi to my TrueNAS dataset and I'm getting abnormally low transfer speeds. Both are SMB shares to my windows box and I am running the file transfer through that.

I'm not sure when the slow down happened, but I can't get it to go back to it's normal 40-50mb/s rate. But what I'm curious about is the discrepancy I'm seeing here. In the Task Manager on Windows and in the "Reporting" section on TrueNAS, they are both showing around a 50mb/s rate. But the transfer window keep showing a really low 5-6mb/s rate (although I just noticed the mean shows the same value). Can anyone explain what could be causing this disparity? It might help me troubleshoot the issue.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Setup:

TrueNAS-13.0-U2
SUPERMICRO MBD-X12SCA-5F-O ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1200 Intel W580
Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-1370 @ 2.90GHz
64GB ECC RAM
x6 20TB WD Red in zRaid2

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
But the transfer window keep showing a really low 5-6mb/s rate
No. It's showing the more-or-less same 50mbits/s rate, it's just displayed in mBytes, not mbits. Multiply by 8 and allow a little for encryption overhead coming from SMB and all your charts are the same.

I'm not sure that there's a reason to think that TrueNAS is causing any kind of bottleneck in your transfer, so I'd just point at the fact that there's a Pi on one end, so "slow transfers" might be due to some of the limitations of the hardware.

Berkyjay

Contributor
No. It's showing the more-or-less same 50mbits/s rate, it's just displayed in mBytes, not mbits. Multiply by 8 and allow a little for encryption overhead coming from SMB and all your charts are the same.

I'm not sure that there's a reason to think that TrueNAS is causing any kind of bottleneck in your transfer, so I'd just point at the fact that there's a Pi on one end, so "slow transfers" might be due to some of the limitations of the hardware.
Well it's not just the transfers from the Pi. I've tested from my Windows box as well. Also, thanks for clarifying the bytes and bits part. I had forgotten that they are different. I just moved my Pi around to do some tests. I connected it directly to my router and the speeds went back to normal. I suspect a bad cat6 cable.