Expectable raidz1 SMB write performance with 5x HDD at 10 Gbit ethernet?

flashdrive

Patron
Hello,

what kind of write speed can I expect from this setup when transfering large sized files from Win 10 to TrueNAS?

In the beginning of the file transfer the 10 GBit ethernet link is saturated at about 1 GByte / s.

However after a couple of seconds it will go down as low as constant 230 MByte / s.

I did not tune the system at all, it is stock. Only Jumbo Frames at 9014 at Windows 10 and TrueNAS. No switch, it is a direct LAN connection.

Disabling file encryption doesn't seem to make a difference.

5x 2 TByte HDD (very old, I know)

flashdrive

Patron

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, you fill the write cache (that's in your system memory) for the first moments, and then it degrades to whatever the pool can sustain.

Jumbo frames is generally a bad idea. It causes unusual code paths to be used, and you may run into problems that other people don't hit.

"5x 2 TByte HDD" .. "very old"? They still make those, you know.

flashdrive

Patron

flashdrive

Patron
Hello @jgreco

do you have a recommendation / howto were I can have a look into the topic?

I know my system is DIY - however I am learning step by step this way.

My goal is to get as near as possible to a sustained 10 GBit ethernet write saturation to TrueNAS.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, the math for that is pretty simple. IF your drives are mostly empty, meaning that writes will happen to contiguous free space, AND your drives can sustain ~1Mbit/s (~100MByte/sec) write speeds average, then you need 20 drives in mirror pairs, because you need 10 vdevs each capable of 1Mbit/s.

The caveats are that drives stop giving you fast write speeds once there is fragmentation, and that while it might be tempting to use a faster number for what drives can write at, what you really need is the pessimistic inner track numbers, not the optimistic benchmark-favorite outer track numbers.

The 9265-8i is not suitable for use with FreeNAS.

https://www.truenas.com/community/t...s-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.81931/

flashdrive

Patron
Thank you for the link and explanation.

~1Mbit/s (~100MByte/sec) should be
~1Gbit/s imho

So now I also do need to read into all that ZIL topic as well - having an SSD as write cache? I do not want to go all out onto the Optane highway - there was a great post into that topic

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So now I also do need to read into all that ZIL topic as well - having an SSD as write cache? I do not want to go all out onto the Optane highway - there was a great post into that topic

ZFS does not support SSD or Optane as a write cache. It only supports using main memory for write cache.

If you have made the usual error of thinking that "ZIL" or "SLOG" is some sort of write cache, I guarantee it isn't, and encourage you to go read

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/some-insights-into-slog-zil-with-zfs-on-freenas.13633/