TimeMachine and nested datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjp4756

Contributor
For the past week I have been having none stop issues with timemachine backups to my freenas server. Manual backups would work, however automatic backups would always fail to connect. I've tried reinstalling freenas without importing a config. I also reinstalled os x 10.10.3 from scratch (didn't restore anything from backup) and that didn't help.

About a week ago I changed my timemachine backup dataset. Initially I had a dataset created in the root of my pool. That dataset was then shared with afp and only my computer used it. Last week I thought it would be better to have a "backups" dataset and then my timemachine dataset inside of that. I used zfs send/recv to copy it over to it's new location. I modified the share to point to the new spot. I then removed the old disk from my macs time machine preferences and added the new disk. Time machine did 1 backup and then that was it for a day. I did a manual backup and that worked. Automatic backups didn't work.

Today I moved the timemachine dataset out of backups dataset and back in to the root of my pool. Now automatic backups work just fine.

Is anybody else seeing this behavior? Time machine fails to connect if the shared dataset is nested in another dataset.

kjp4756

Contributor
Never mind the nested dataset thing. That's not the problem. Turns out I'm having some serious zeroconf/mdns issues. My macs can't connect to my CIFS or AFP shares half of the time using the finder. I get a "connection failed" message. This is happening on my 2 macs; 1 is 10.10.3 and the other is the last version of 10.7. Both are wired connections.

L

L

I have been having troubles with afp mounts since the last update from apple. There is a bug 9422, I would suggest you add to it.

kjp4756

Contributor
It's both CIFS and AFP I'm having trouble with....anything bonjour/zeroconf/mdns related. The problem seems to be connected to jails some how. If I stop all of my jails then everything works as it should. The strange thing is things have been working great for the past few hours with jails running and I have changed nothing.

The only thing different I did this afternoon was run tcpdump on the bridge0 and epair interfaces.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Sorry to revive a dead post but I am having a very similar issue. For all of 1.5 days I had automatic backups working perfectly on two macs. Both are running high sierra 10.13, server is FreeNAS 11. I will check the console when it finally boots past the LSI controller.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Correction. My macs last backup was 10 Sep and my wifes only made it to 9 Sep. I would appreciate any help regarding this.
I can post the console output if need be.

Getting this: Sep 12 01:08:59 server netatalk: dnssd_clientstub DNSServiceProcessResult called with DNSServiceRef with no ProcessReply function

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.