AFP, TimeMachine and AD Credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsy7867

Contributor
I am having some weird permission issues with a specific setup I am trying to get to work.

Basically I want a few users where I work to be able to backup via Time Machine to a volume on Freenas and I want them to be able to authenticate with their AD credentials.

Currently I have a few AFP shares pointed to specific datasets on my main (and only volume) volume, called TimeMachine, on my test box. So for example "Bob" has a user account we will also call "BoB".

So I make a dataset on TimeMachine called bob, and also an AFP share called "bob". I then set the dataset to use Windows Credentials, and I set the user to be domain\bob (Which freenas finds without issue), and group "domain\domain admins". I also have a CFIS share pointed at "TimeMachine". When I go and look at the permissions most of them are correct, but every now and then I get an "Everyone" pop up with read & execute, list folder contents, and Read permissions. If I delete it, it will usually stay deleted for some time.

In one case, if I removed the group, and tried to add another user, another AD group gets added to the permissions list, which also does not make any since.

Lastly, I have one AFP share that I set domain\bob to have access to. I am able to find the share in the time machine settings and it pops up, asks for my credentials, and accepts them. I can also verify that I have read/write permissions to the drive. TimeMachine looks like it is working and "Prepares the disk" until it fails saying "The backup disk image "/Volume/Bob3-1/MachineName.sparsebundle could not be created (error(null))".

I know this is a lot of info, but I am hoping someone could have some ideas as to how I could make this more stable and work. Thanks for your time!

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm confused about how you've got your setup working. Could you post a debug output? Also, could you post screenshots of your dataset configuration and share configuration of the relevant dataset/shares?

At the end of the day, permissions don't (shouldn't) change themselves. Something is changing those permissions. I'm guess that it's Time Machine (or something related), but it could be due to a weird configuration on the FreeNAS, and FreeNAS trying to correct a perceived "issue".

Status
Not open for further replies.