Timemachine disk not available on Backup Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gessi

Dabbler
Strange issue on my FreeNAS 9.3 with a Apple Share configured for Timemachine and proper rights and settings on the Share and Dataset (I assume so):
  • FreeNAS is running properly
  • MacOS client gets booted in the morning
  • Network connections are in place
  • Timemachine Backup starts with FreeNAS Share used as target
  • Error comes back that the device is not available
  • Connecting to Afp Share through Mac finder works though
  • Starting another backup with Timemachine works having nothing changed within the configuration
It seems that the Timemachine App can't connect to the Share but Finder does!? 2nd run works though!?
I am a bit confused about this behaviour and would like to understand and fix this issue... can someone help?

Gessi

Dabbler
Nope... no reply and still have same issue that my MacBook doesn't discover the Timemachine AFP Share instantly...

Do you have same issue?

Gessi

Dabbler
Nope still have this problem and have to trigger Backup from timemachine on my MacBook twice or 3x until it obviously successfully mounts the FreeNAS timemachine Share.

Seems to have a timeout on MacOS or something similar not sure though, mounting from Finder works well and fast...

Dotty

Contributor
Do you have any Jail running?
Try turning all the Jails OFF if you can.
If that solve your problem, then go to your NIC and enable "Auto configure IPv6" (dont worry if you dont use IPv6)
Try then your Time Machine backup with your Jails ON and please report back.
;-)

rogerh

Guru
There does seem to be a longstanding problem with netatalk which may have got worse recently. It may be worth trying to connect Time Machine to the share using IP address rather than hostname. This worked for me, but you do need to have a fixed IP address for the FreeNAS server, or at least a predictable one.

Glorious1

Guru
Try these simple things first:
  1. On your Mac, eject all Freenas volumes
  2. Go to Time Machine System Prefs, can't remember what the button is called, but to manage/change the Time Machine disks. Tell it to stop using your Time Machine volume on the FreeNAS. Then just turn around and choose it again as the Time Machine destination. This will not delete anything from the backup.

rogerh

Guru
Try these simple things first:
  1. On your Mac, eject all Freenas volumes
  2. Go to Time Machine System Prefs, can't remember what the button is called, but to manage/change the Time Machine disks. Tell it to stop using your Time Machine volume on the FreeNAS. Then just turn around and choose it again as the Time Machine destination. This will not delete anything from the backup.
I agree that is well worth doing. But my recent experience, since9.10.2 at least, is that no Time Machine shares will be available if I follow your advice. I have to use Finder/Go/Connect to Server and I actually have to use the FreeNAS IP to make this work. Then I log into the share which is otherwise only used for Time Machine, using the Time Machine user. I then disconnect this share but it will then usually be available for Time Machine to use, and Time Machine will generally remember it. Until it fails to do so again for uncertain reasons.

Dotty

Contributor
Guys,
Try to do what I wrote before.
==========================
Do you have any Jail running?
Try turning all the Jails OFF if you can.
If that solve your problem, then go to your NIC and enable "Auto configure IPv6" (dont worry if you dont use IPv6)
Try then your Time Machine backup with your Jails ON and please report back.
;-)
==========================
There is a known issue with Jails and Time Machine functionality on freeNAS.
I see the issue every time I build freeNAS boxes for customers.
If you have Jails, try the steps above.
It is very easy to see,, for example, when your Time Machine server is working, you would see the actual time machine server on your Mac (inside the Time Machine preferences, after you click "select disk"), in there you should see as many time machine disks as Time Machine AFP shares you specified on your freeNAS, (not right above that, those are the ones previously configured),,, so, once you see that, go to freeNAS and turn AFP OFF, then you will see the available disk disappear, then turn the AFP back ON again, and after a few seconds you will see them again.
All that is the expected behavior,,, but sometimes, the Jails cause a networking issue and that doesnt work, even when the AFP is ON,,, reseting AFP will force the available disks again,, for a little while,, then eventually they will be gone,, and sometimes show up, and later gone again.
Just turn all the Jails OFF, and most likely you wont have the issue again.
if so,, then enable the Auto Configure IPv6 on your NIC (make sure you are not using DHCP), and test again.
Why is this happening,, long story, there are some other posts about that,, google "time machine and freenas jails"

Status
Not open for further replies.