Time Machine does not advertise itself on secondary network

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHIT93

Cadet
Hi
I have been looking at FreeNAS for at long time, but did not have a workstation/server that was powerful enough to run it and also did not have one that supported ECC RAM.
Now the time has come and I have everything running and configured, but I have one small issue.
I have two networks:
172.16.40.0/24 - Lab/Office network
172.16.45.0/24 - Private/Home network with WiFi

I am running the latest version of FreeNAS 9.10 stable (as of writing this)

The primary network interface (172.16.40.4) of the FreeNAS box is connected to the office network, and I have configured Time Machine (AFP) backup of my primary macOS workstation.
The web UI is mapped to this IP-address.
I then have a second network interface (172.16.45.4) connected to the home network so that I have make my files available on my media center and my Macbook Pro.
In the configuration of the AFP-share, I have checked that this shared is used for Time Machine backups and then I have checked the two IP-addresses to advertise this share on both networks.
It works absolutely fine on the office network, but the Time Machine service does not show up on the Macbook in the home network. I can however connect to the AFP-share without any issues.
Am I missing a step here? What do I need to do in order to make FreeNAS advertise on both networks?

rogerh

Guru
Problems are known with the AFP service. There is the following bug report which has a fix to be released in the next update. Whether this will solve *all* the problems with the AFP service is a bit doubtful, if you read the conversation on the bug report. I manage by telling the Mac the IP of the relevant share, via the 'hosts' file.

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/20221

Status
Not open for further replies.