intermittent time machine error...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there,

i recently got my FreeNAS box set up, and it's working fairly well, for the most part.

specs: HP z600 workstation, dual 2ghz xeon processors, 6gigs ECC RAM. 2x WD Green 2TB drives (mirrored) and 1x Seagate 1TB drive that i dedicated to Time Machine backups for my MacMini and iMac (both running Mavericks/10.9). freenas running off of a 4gig flash drive, running 9.2.1.1 (just updated to see if that would fix my problem - it didn't).

i got the server set up pretty much how i want it (plex/sickbeard/sabnzbd/couchpotato working perfectly).

i have 2 datasets set up on the 1tb time machine drive, capped at 500gigs each. AFP is on, and the 'use as time machine' checkbox is checked. owner is set to "nobody" and group to "nogroup" for the Time Machine volume, as well as the datasets.

i can browse to/mount the AFP shares just fine. i can select the MacMini dataset as my Time Machine destination. i completed the initial time machine backup fine overnight. now, backups error out on me, fairly consistently.

the error:
Time Machine couldn't complete the backup to "freenas".
The network backup disk could not be accessed because there was a problem with the network username or password. You may need to re-select the backup disk and enter the correct username and password.

If i open and close a Finder window, and click once on the "freenas" share, i can see the AFP volumes, and then i can force a Time Machine backup by selecting "Back Up Now" from the TM menu. this backup seems to complete successfully every time. As soon as it's time for the next backup, though, it errors out with the same message as above.

Any ideas?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Raise your RAM to the required minimum for ZFS? With two pools and jails you should have more like 16 actually.

Time Machine can be sensitive to performance problems. It isn't clear what is actually happening, and you probably need to inspect the Apple side logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.