Is Time Machine Backing Up My Encrypted Home Directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCochran

Contributor
Hi, I set up FreeNAS 8.0.3 RC2 (I believe) to do Time Machine backups of of my MacBook Pro running OS X Lion with all the current updates to it. That means I'm running 10.7.2 plus subsequent updates. I am using ZFS. The FreeNAS server box has 16 Gb of RAM and a Dell PERC 5/i controller installed which in turn is connected to two, Western Digital "green" 1.0 Tb hard drives. One drive is a CIFS share for my wife to use and the other is an AFP share for my use. The server box has the latest BIOS update installed.

I have several accounts on this MacBook, and the one I use routinely for myself is encrypted with File Vault.

When I set up FreeNAS and first tried to connect to the server with Time Machine, there were some login problems using my own username and password. Then I recalled that a how-to video for setting up FreeNAS specified either the user 'www' or 'nobody' for Time Machine backups, so I changed the ZFS and AFP users to first 'www,bobc' and then 'nobody,bobc' and then 'www', successively. I think I am now doing backups with the 'www' user.

I believe that Time Machine probably calculated the amount of space to back up correctly during the first backup, about 98 Gb. It did a backup of approximately 47 Gb to the ZFS volume. It shows up as 'rcmp0.sparsebundle'. I have also been doing Time Machine backups to a quite separate 1 Tb external hard drive which I plug into my MacBook over USB, and I'm accustomed to Time Machine backing up what appears to be my system and all the users under /Users who do not have encryption. Then when I log out of my encrypted home directory, Time Machine backs up the directory before the logout is fully complete.

With FreeNAS, Time Machine does not seem to back up my encrypted home directory when I log out of it. It just goes quiet and nothing happens. How can I get Time Machine to back up my home directory to the FreeNAS volume?

Thanks

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.