AFP time machine shares stop advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vick Khera

Dabbler
I have 4 AFP shares configured for time machine, one per desktop being backed up. If I go to the workstation within a few minutes of adding the share, it shows up as a selectable time machine network drive and everything works as I would expect. However, if I wait a while, perhaps 10 or 15 minutes, none of the shares show up in the time machine select box.

Once the share is configured, time machine works with it no problem. The only issue is that the share is not advertised for more than a very short amount of time.

Right now when I need to add a workstation, I just edit the share and save, and it seems to rebroadcast all the advertisements long enough to configure it.

FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813 on FreeNAS Mini box.

jerryjharrison

Explorer
I usually am able to map a drive and pick up the share using the "Connect to Server" menu item in finder. In the Connect to Server box, enter afp://[IPaddress of Freenas]. Once the share is mapped, I can select it in time machine, and then eject the drive from the desktop. Time machine runs fine after that.

kjp4756

Contributor
I was having a similar issue a while back. What fixed it for me was turning on "Auto configure ipv6" on my freenas box (in network configuration under interface) and then enabling ipv6 on my macs. I don't know why but afp seems to work better over ipv6. Not sure if it's a os x bug or a netatalk/freebsd bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.