Time Machine Backups via AFP to home share

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFF

Dabbler
Hi all,
I've been trying to setup a FreeNAS 11 system to serve as a Time Machine server for multiple users/clients. All the forum threads that I've read have people either creating separate zfs targets for each user/client or creating 1 share and granting all users access to see it. Neither of this will work in my environment, so I'm trying to achieve the same setup I have on my old Debian Linux server running netatalk/afpd that is currently handling backups with this configuration:

~/ "home" cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,tm,noadouble ea:ad

The above basically translates to each user has access to their home directory which is shared via netatalk/afpd and enables TM Lock Stealing which is required for Mac clients to be able to use the resulting shares for Time Machine.

I couldn't find a way to achieve this setup with the FreeNAS Web UI, but I was able to manually modify /etc/local/afpd.conf to add 1 line to the [Homes] section that does the job:

[Homes]
basedir regex = /path/to/home/dirs
home name = home
time machine = yes

Adding that last line and HUP'ing the afpd process does the trick. The problem is, anytime the AFP service is restarted the middleware wipes out my custom change which results in the home shares no longer being valid Time Machine destinations. I'm considering writing a script to watch the file, update it when necessary & HUP afpd ... but I was wondering if anyone else has either come across this issue or come across a similar issue and knows of a way to "fix" FreeNAS so manual changes to configuration files will persist. I attempted to modify the /conf/base/etc/local/afpd.conf & /conf/base/etc/local/afpd.conf.sample files hoping that was where the middleware was starting off but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

EDIT/TLDR: I guess the gist of what I'm interested in is if anyone knows how to customize the home share. I'm currently doing so from a non-standard/supported approach but would like to be able to set my own options on the home share in afpd.conf and the FreeNAS UI doesn't seem to provide a way to do this.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
Feature request?

D

dlavigne

If you do make a feature request at bugs.freenas.org to add an afpd.conf Auxiliary Parameters field (the current one is for afp.conf), post the issue number here. Alternately, the feature request could be to add a "Time Machine" checkbox to AFP Shares and to automagically add those parameters when one checks that box (as well as the Time Machine box in the Wizard).

Status
Not open for further replies.