Three drives died and no notification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary Buddha

Contributor
So, I have the email notification setup and tested to work.

Yesterday, I came home and noticed the blinky red dot at the top right of the window.

Come to find out three of my drives went down; two in my main pool and the jails pool disk, leaving my main pool in a degraded but operational state. Knowing my finikyness of my system, I rebooted and all the drives came back up. The two drives started resilvering, all is well in the world.

My question is why didn't I get an email notification that my drives went down? I thought that was kind of the point to setting up the email stuff. I know the interwebnetz was working.

Main pool = 5 x 8TiB Z2
Jails pool = 1x 120GiB
System pool = 1 x 120GiB

D

dlavigne

Just to verify, do you get an email when you click "Send Test Mail" in System -> Email?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Also, you might want to include the version of FreeNAS and all your hardware setup info.

Binary Buddha

Contributor
huh... So apparently it's emailing the account setup in the email config and not the user selected in the periodic notification...

I presumed the user selected in the periodic notification section would get emailed and that the account for email setup was just to smtp emails.

tvsjr

Guru
Personally, I'd be more worried about a system that randomly drops drives then has them magically reappear post-reboot. One of these days, it's going to randomly drop the wrong combination of drives, and you'll be in trouble.

Binary Buddha

Contributor
Personally, I'd be more worried about a system that randomly drops drives then has them magically reappear post-reboot. One of these days, it's going to randomly drop the wrong combination of drives, and you'll be in trouble.

That's a separate issue all together. And yes, I'm planning on addressing it with a MB upgrade; currently on a MSI X58M. Some of the SATA ports are dead; so I wouldn't be surprised if more are dying. And how the case is setup and the length of the SATA cable is causing slight stress on the connections since I'm using a PCI SATA expander to make up for the dead ports. The X58M was a free hand-me-down that was my buddy's old HTPC. You get what you pay for.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Some of the SATA ports are dead; so I wouldn't be surprised if more are dying. And how the case is setup and the length of the SATA cable is causing slight stress on the connections since I'm using a PCI SATA expander to make up for the dead ports.

Oh god, it'll not end well...

Binary Buddha

Contributor
Oh god, it'll not end well...

I know... But, I'm one of those "run it till it's dead" type of guys that pimp out old obsolete hardware to serve at it's best performance.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I assume you know you'll loose all the data without any possible recovery if too many drives dies so, no problem then ;)

tvsjr

Guru
I know... But, I'm one of those "run it till it's dead" type of guys that pimp out old obsolete hardware to serve at it's best performance.
Obviously, you place little value on your data. ZFS does not like these sorts of shenanigans. If three drives drop in your main pool, you're done.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Obviously, you place little value on your data. ZFS does not like these sorts of shenanigans. If three drives drop in your main pool, you're done.

This is where a regular backup scheme comes in handy. Just ensure all the important data is saved so it could be restored if needed. I would think that the OP has weighed the risks by now and either has a backup or is fine with a total loss. Like me for example, I backup about 50 GB of data and the rest like movies and system backups can go away if my pool dies. Photos and financial data are key for me to retain, so much that I have them located in three different locations and I create DVD's of the data (looking at BluRay in the future) I must keep.

Binary Buddha

Contributor
This is where a regular backup scheme comes in handy. Just ensure all the important data is saved so it could be restored if needed. I would think that the OP has weighed the risks by now and either has a backup or is fine with a total loss. Like me for example, I backup about 50 GB of data and the rest like movies and system backups can go away if my pool dies. Photos and financial data are key for me to retain, so much that I have them located in three different locations and I create DVD's of the data (looking at BluRay in the future) I must keep.

It's nothing that I can't download again... **hint hint**

Although that guy that developed the new S3CMD plugin deserves a smack on the ass. All my "I can't ever fucking loose this" data is either in my gmail account or rsync'd to my "unlimited" shared hosting account for my website. In veracrypt containers of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.