"This server is not powerful enough to convert video." Yesterday it played well

guermantes

Patron
- "Playback Error. This server is not powerful enough to convert video."
- Seriously? I was watching this very episode yesterday and many others from the same season without problem, in the same browser.

I have just got into Plex and am using the current official Freenas plugin with Plex Version 4.34.4, no plexpass, just within my LAN and in the browser. 11.3-U1, Intel i3-6100 and 16 GB RAM. After install I put as much as I could to maximum and it worked great for a few days, but today I am running into the above problem.

I don't understand why Plex suddenly wants to transcode? I am using the recommended "home streaming" setting where the media is just transferred to the client as is if it is playable by the client. It's an oldish xvid/avi 352p resolution so it really isn't heavy or anything. I saw somewhere this this combo can be problematic.... but I was watching it yesterday!?!?

I also have other episodes from other series that are half-played, where Plex asks me whether to start from the beginning or resume playback where I left of (super-proof that Plex has played this file before) but whichever I select Plex complains that the server is not powerful enough to convert the video.

What might be going on here?

Quality I have tried both to set and unset the "automatically adjust quality" setting.
"Transcoder quality" is set to Automatic.

guermantes

Patron
Okay, bear with me on this one, because I solved it and it’s weird…

I installed a second instance of the PMS plugin. I did not configure anything and it played the files perfectly that in the first install had played well at first but then started requiring "beef to convert".

I tried to think what was different. I realized that I in the web browser javascript blocker had allowed javascript connections to gstatic.com and plex.tv. Could that really be it?

I went ahead and blocked access… and boom, error message and transcoding was no longer possible.

So I re-allowed those domains and went back to the first Plex instance and verified if I could now play the files there since those two domains were allowed. And boom… the files transcode and play well.

What the yuck is going on here?

Addendum:
Now I cleaned the cache, restarted browser and revisited my first plex install. Javascript blocker again active and blocking the two domains. And yet it plays and transcodes the files in question. So unblocking was needed to remove getting the error thrown at me, but not needed once it works again. Go figure. Plex reminds me of Wacom; great product, market dominance, but weird and misbehaving code.

Last edited:

bigdadydwarf

Cadet
i dunno if you've experienced this
This server is not powerful enough to convert video”

but ive googled all day and got squat.
i finally figured out how to fix it

on the viewing end go to settings. increase bandwidth to at least 12mbp from the minimum or 2mb whatever it's set to.
when my sis in NY is logged in she gets this message but i can view fine from my end.
the problem lies if im sending you a 12mb/s video file but your only allowing 2mb/s then it's not gonna work

so increase your viewing bandwidth

jgreco

Resident Grinch
i dunno if you've experienced this
This server is not powerful enough to convert video”

but ive googled all day and got squat.
i finally figured out how to fix it

on the viewing end go to settings. increase bandwidth to at least 12mbp from the minimum or 2mb whatever it's set to.
when my sis in NY is logged in she gets this message but i can view fine from my end.
the problem lies if im sending you a 12mb/s video file but your only allowing 2mb/s then it's not gonna work

so increase your viewing bandwidth

That's not really "fixing" it. It's making it so that the server doesn't need to convert (transcode) the video.

There are four basic fixes to the problem.

1) Make it so that transcoding is unnecessary. This can either be making sure that the upstream bandwidth for the server and downstream bandwidth for the client is able to sustain the necessary transfer rate, or you can use Handbrake etc. to recode a video to a more manageable size. Either way, the server no longer has to do work and can directly stream the data to the client.

2) Have a CPU that has the Intel QuickSync capabilities to do basic hardware decoding and encoding. This means software transcoding doesn't happen, it is done in hardware instead.

3) Have a GPU that allows Plex to do transcoding on the GPU. Unfortunately AFAIK this is mostly limited to Linux for ${reasons}

4) Don't watch large videos :smile:

sretalla