Plex streaming / buffering issues (freenas to win10 pc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcevan

Patron
Hey I've been struggling with the FreeNAS plugin for Plex streaming within the house to a PC where bufferring occurs and Plex indicates the server is not powerful enough to transcode it.

First, I know there are older treads (circa 2014) so I believe it's time for a new thread.

Second, I'm on Win10 wired to a Verizon Fios cable modem with gigabit ethernet over cat5e to a gigabit switch 2 floors below where my FreeNas is wired to that on cat5e and it has a gigabit ethernet (Intel NIC) and the switch is gigabit speed.

Third, I see that the Plex plugin is always behind in features that you can find for this on Plex's board. The mistmatch in our latest Plex plugin is that on web, you can set local, remote, and online quality to a max of 20mb/s each but on the server setup you cannot set this. It's only transcoder quality not specifically a throughput speed. Additionally, on server setting we can say hurt my CPU, etc.

Also, somewhat off topic is that in no way can I get my Plex plugin to use DTS or Dolby Digital audio when streaming from NAS to PC. But if I copy the media to the PC desktop and use VLC, I can get DTS and Dolby Digital.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The plugin is maintained by @Joshua Parker Ruehlig and he does so in his spare time. It will get updated when he gets to it. Besides the latest version isn't even in the FreeBSD repository yet so be patient.

Also, somewhat off topic is that in no way can I get my Plex plugin to use DTS or Dolby Digital audio when streaming from NAS to PC.

This has nothing to do with the plugin or the server. The client determines what audio does and does not get used. If you're having issues it's a configuration problem on the client end.

marcevan

Patron
I'm patient...it's been over a year and now I'm in a new house with Cat6 wired throughout and still buffers on > 3GB files. I'll message Joshua that the transcoding option in the PLEX plugin desperately needs a "do not transcode" option.

Btw, the comment about configuration on the client end is not 100% correct: Plex may have a file encoded with 5.1 audio and the client may be set to process 5.1 audio but that doesn't mean that Plex and the client are talking nice. I have seen transcoding happening even in those cases and the client in my case now is a Marantz 7.2 receiver HDMI from FreeNAS to it on one input and both are wired onto the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.