SOLVED System does not boot any more after update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smojo

Cadet
After resolving one problem yesterday I stept into the next one. :-/

I updated the system to the next available stable release 11.1 (I expected no bigger problem as it is the "stable" release channel) via web GUI. Unfortunately the system is now hanging while booting.
croppedImage_1513425052558.png
Code:
Timecounter "HPET" frequency 19200000 Hz quality 950

I found this thread:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-11-update-failed-searching-for-help.59786/
and like this guy I probalby have to go back to the last working state of the system.

If there is any other tip feel free to share.

Thanks and regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
It appears that your issue is a FreeBSD thing between your selected hardware and FreeBSD. Read this link here and you might be able to work around it. Unfortunately your problem really stems from purchasing some off the wall motherboard that has not been tested with FreeNAS at all. Because you are basically the first person to have this board I would like to request that you eventually create a thread that documents your experiences and the solutions to get the board to work, you could title is something like "ASRock J4205-ITX - The board not to buy" or "ASRock J4205-ITX - How to force it to run FreeNAS".

Now I have one other piece of advice that may or maynot work for you but it may be worth trying. Try out ESXi 6.5 and you will need to map your drives via RDM. I would never normally recommend this to anyone but you are in a situation where this might be what is required. Also, if you have any data on your pool, back it up first. If you are not familiar with ESXi then you have a steep learning curve ahead of you. And really, this might be your best or only option if you cannot get FreeNAS to run directly on your machine. Lastly, I have no idea if ESXi will run on your hardware, only you will be able to tell.

I'll tell you what, I'm not very impressed with ASRock motherboards when it comes to supporting FreeBSD.

Smojo

Cadet
Thanks a lot @joeschmuck . The link helped me out of this. As already explained in the other thread (and because we are in the "New to FreeNAS?" section ;-) ) I would call myself a beginner.

I was able to adjust the boot setting via grub loader just by use the e-key. (while FreeNAS is selected of cource)

The following settings are necessary:
Code:
   set kFreeBSD.machdep.disable_msix_migration="1"
   set kFreeBSD.hint.hpet.0.clock="0"

(the prefix here is 'kFreeBSD.' not 'kFreeNAS.' thanks @StefanG -> you will probably see at the other settings)

Pressing F10 and select "Normal" (as i adjusted the normal boot settings) the system was able to boot and it did not hang at the step I mentioned in my first post. It finalized the update successfully and rebooted again. Of course the setting was not saved so I had to do the editing stuff again.

Now the system is running normal again (at least from my unprofessional perspective).

I started a shell and edited the loader.conf
Code:
vi /boot/loader.conf

#added:
machdep.disable_msix_migration=1																									
hint.hpet.0.clock=0 

(I see settings with and without quotes in there not sure if this makes any difference)

I added the two settings, but it looks like that it is not used while booting as the next test-boot was a hanging one again. Let's see how to make this setting working for all the upcoming boots.

Last edited:

StefanG

Cadet
Thanks for the solution.
I had the very same problem.
BTW you wrote kFreeNAS instead of kFreeBSD.

I added it to my configuration by adding to Tunable values via the GUI.
System -> Tunables -> Add Tunable
As a type you have to choose Loader.

Smojo

Cadet
@StefanG thanks for the tip with the tunables.
Yes you are right it has to be kFreeBSD at least when you adjust it via grub. I changed it in my last post.

How exactly the tunables variables via GUI have to be set?
I started with this as variable name:
Code:
set kFreeBSD.machdep.disable_msix_migration

After the next boot and checking the boot commands again ('e'-key as the system did not boot anymore), I saw that it has to be without 'set kFreeBSD.'
IMG_20171217_153659.jpg

Value without or with double quotes?
quotes_are_not_allowed.png --> without

It looks like that the tunables which will be set via gui will be saved in /boot/loader.conf.local
(all the different loader files will be loaded during boot via /boot/defaults/loader.conf)

So another way to solve this is (once you booted successfully) starting a shell and add the variables to the /boot/loader.conf.local manually. Without 'set kFreeBSD.' but the value in double-quotes. (a comment can be added behind beginning wiht a #)

@StefanGCan you share your setup. What kind of board do you use?

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
How exactly the tunables variables via GUI have to be set?
Just ADD a new tunable and select Loader, enter your parameter and value, do not use the word "set". This will preserve your settings for when you reboot. And you will have to add two tunables of course.

joeschmuck

Old Man

StefanG

Cadet
I have a ASRock J3455-ITX.
Manually editing the loader.conf.local didn't work for me. It was overwritten.

As a variable name I just took hint.hpet.0.clock with value o (without any quotes) and machdep.disable_msix_migration with value 1.

I also disabled the C stepping as it is described in the link aboved and it seams to also fix the slow boot.

PrinceSir

Cadet
My Asrock J4205-itx got into the same problem today when I am trying to update from 11.0-U4 to 11.1-RELEASE. Problem resolved thanks to this thread. Hopefully this doesn't need to be repeated for the next release :S......

Many thanks to @joeschmuck, @Smojo and @StefanG

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hopefully this doesn't need to be repeated for the next release
As long as you leave the tunables in place, when you upgrade it will retain those values so you shouldn't have to touch it again. But if you do a clean install then yes, refer back to this thread.

Actually, for those folks who have this motherboard I would recommend you put these instructions into a document and print it out, stuff it inside an envelope and stick it into the computer. This will allow you to have this data the next time you need it. Or do something similar but it should be on paper.

PrinceSir

Cadet
Actually, for those folks who have this motherboard I would recommend you put these instructions into a document and print it out, stuff it inside an envelope and stick it into the computer.

Good advice, no printer at home, made PDF on cloud :)

kiba125

Cadet
hi,

Updating my NAS every time ends in a big mess :/

i have the same issue (with the ASRock J3455-ITX, UEFI-BOOT, FreeNAS-11.0-U2) and guess the problem is solved already. The solution is to add a Tunable: System -> Tunables -> Add Tunable. But i am not sure what to add precisely: Shall i first update and bevor the restart add Tunables? Maby anyone can give me the instruction more obviously?

1)Apply updates to 11.1
2)add Tunables
3)Restart

Variable: ?
Value: ?
Type: Loader
Enabled: Yes

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The original problem was solved, so people are probably not looking at this thread any more. If what is suggested in posts #5 and #6 applies to your motherboard, but does not solve the problem, please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.