Switching to ZFS - Am I Doing This Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbddpp

Explorer
After an unfortunate data loss on one of my UFS volumes in my box after a power loss, I decided to move everything to ZFS format because I hear it's more stable.

I am not striping or using any sort of RAID. Each disk has one volume and that's it. I had previously put each of the 5 drives in as UFS as you can see here. I added the 6th today with ZFS. Nothing special, I didn't create a pool, just a volume, which I now intend to copy data over to.

Then, one by one, as I empty out a UFS volume, I will unmount and re-add as ZFS.

mounts.jpg

So my question is...Am I doing this right?

I don't want any redundancy or backups, just separate volumes, separated by disk, one per disk, that don't affect one another if one were to crash or be removed.

ProtoSD

MVP
It sounds like you're doing it right, just make sure when you create a new volume that you don't make it part of an existing volume. I don't remember off the top of my head what the dialog is when you create a new volume, but there's something where you have a choice to add it to an existing volume which you don't want to do in your situation.

Stephens

Patron
And get a UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.