Am I doing it right? CF Card install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonef

Cadet
Hi,

Having read some of the older tutorials and set-up walk throughs has left me wondering if I have installed correctly. I am worried that freeNAS doesn't know it is embedded on a CF card and thus there is going to be some read write issues that will reduce the life of the CF. I am confused here so talking without the knowledge to back me up. Earlier freeNAS version seemed to have special consideration for CF install - swap file not located on same boot media and such like whereas my setup didn't seem to care where I was installing as long as it wasn't a harddrive. Can someone please put my mind to rest or point in right direction if I have lost my way. cheers.

Some further information about my situation:
This is my first freeNAS recently built for use mostly as a media file repository on a home network made up of various WinXP, win7, Win8, OSX and Linux machines.

Hardware consists of an AOpen compact desktop ( intel 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 4GB DDR2) - storage drives are a 'odd-ball collection of SATA drives' making up 1.3TB stripped ZFS but will be changing to a matching 4 drive mirrored volume next week soon as those land on the doorstep.

The boot drive is a 2GB Flash Card inserted into a CF to IDE adapter.

I burned the ISO to a CDR and installed FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 (r12701M) to the CF card. Optical drive was removed from the machine to make way for HDD.

All seems to work well, boots from the CF card and I have volume / share working and all machines on network can access as expected.

(one issue : Onboard NIC/ driver puked after about 15 minutes during file transfer so just disabled it and installed a NIC into the PCI slot without further issue.)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It doesn't recognize the difference between USB, hard drive, RAMdrive, etc. It is designed for minimal writes regardless of what hardware it is installed on.

stonef

Cadet
Nice one, thank you. I will just get on with the business of using it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.