Impossible to install Freenas on a CF card connected on IDE port

yaume

Dabbler
Hi,

In advance, sorry for my english, but it's not my native language :)

Long time ago i used Freenas 9.1 on my machine installed on a CF card inserted in a CF card reader connected on IDE port, i decide to make a fresh install with Freenas 11.3 U2 .1.

On my machine, there is CF card reader connected on IDE port, i've insert a new CF card (SANDISK Extreme UDMA7 32G), because my previous have a too small size (Turbo Industrial CF Card 4G)
I've built an USB bootable stick with Freenas 11.3 installer.
When i tried install it on the new CF card, it appears that the CF card was not recognized by the installer, because when i arrive to the menu to select the hardrive for installation the CF Card is not present. But when i do the same step with the old CF card, it was recognized and present in the menu of hardrive selection
=> So at this point, i understood that the new CF card is not managed by Freenas/FreeBSD)

But after that, i've try to install it with an external CF card reader connected on USB, and the install was successfull
=> So at this point i understood that the new CF card with CF card reader connected on IDE port is not managed by Freenas/FreeBSD)

Then i've try to insert the new CF card freshly installed in the CF Card reader connected on IDE port, and to my surprise, Freenas start without problem.

So i would like to understand why the installation has not working with new CF card inserted in CF card reader connected on IDE port ? For me it's very strange.

I'm not an expert, so it's difficult for me to determine the reason of this behaviour, but after a lot of search on internet, i feel there is a link between new CF card caracteristic and FreeBSD. And with my steps above i understood there is a difference between the old and new CF card, because the Freenas installer seems to manage better the old CF card (it was detected during installation when it was inserted in CF card reader on IDE port).

This is what i can say, and what i can see in the BIOS of my mother board IMB-9454G-R20 for the both card when they are detected (the most options for detecting hardware are set to automatic)

Old CF card

Turbo Industrial CF card
Size 4G
LBA Mode supported
BlockMode Not Supported
PIO Mode 4
Multiword DMA-0
Ultra DMA-2
SMART Not supported

NewCF card
SDCFXS-032G
Size 0MB => i don't understand why it's displayed 0 instead of 32G
LBA Mode supported
BlockMode Not Supported
PIO Mode 4
Multiword DMA-2
Ultra DMA-6
SMART supported

I read something on internet that UDMA is badly supported sometimes by FreeBSD, but i don't really understand, but i see there is a difference between my both cards in BIOS for these characteristics.
An idea is to set the same chariacteristics on the new card (Multiword DMA-0, Ultra DMA-2, SMART not supported), but before doing something i would like to understand really what is the problem and what is the root cause. and if it has an impact on performance.
And i don't arrive to understand why the new card is a problem on installation and working well after installation.

Thanks for taking the time to read me.