SOLVED Cannot detach DEGRADED UFS volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nils Sveje

Cadet
I have just setup an FreeNAS fileserver
HW: HP proliant N54L 6Gb-ram 3*1Tb-drives (all new)​
And wanted to test it with both UFS and ZFS
The UFS (3 drives in raid3) went well (fast), but was marked as DEGRADED when I was finished, and on drive (ada2) is marked with SYNCHRONIZING.
My problem is that I cannot detach the volume (the detach button/oportunity is not always present in the storage-active volumes view) and when I try I get an error about the drive being in use.
  1. now what ? (do I wait for synchronizing, there are no files stored in the volume or can i kill it somehow).
  2. Besides getting rid of this UFS volume and test the same disks with ZFS, should i vory about one of the disk being corrupted ?
Thank you for taking an interest ;-)

Nils Sveje

Cadet
[root@freenas ~]# graid3 status
Name Status Components
raid3/UFSraid3 DEGRADED ada2 (SYNCHRONIZING, 91%)
ada1 (ACTIVE)
ada0 (ACTIVE)
Thanks; I suppose I should wait for the remaining 9% of synchronizing to finish, and evrything would be back to normal ?
Should I vory about why this happend in the first place ? (think it happend during a test with; Intel NAS Performance toolkit)
Ps. if possible please tell me how to remark this thread from question to solved (when applies).

D

dlavigne

Should be. I don't think anything abnormal happened, just the RAID3 array building itself.

Nils Sveje

Cadet
Thank you !
The following is just to round this thread of.
Up and running again (as ZFSraidZ)
Finished my tests (to figure out if I would use UFS or ZFS), I would have expected UFS to be much faster but wanted to know the price of using ZFS.
Apparently for my hardware (and no optimisation) UFS is faster for the bigger files but ZFS for the smaller (there is no reason to go into the exact numbers)
So now I will happily wait for an ordered 4th drive to build a ZFSraid2, and some extra ram, and then make this my new file server (since Im at it I might make an excact dublicate as backup server), im still considering an extra NIC.
Thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.