The volume Main (UFS) status is DEGRADED

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekelley

Cadet
I have 2- 3TB drives mirrored and if the system looses power I get the following error-
  • CRITICAL: The volume Main (UFS) status is DEGRADED

It seems to rebuild its self and I can still get data off the share. But this isn't good if it has to rebuild the mirror every time the system looses power.

Any suggestions??
Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
But this isn't good if it has to rebuild the mirror every time the system looses power.

You are absolutely correct.

Any suggestions??

Yes. Do like everyone else does and get an UPS so that the system can be properly shutdown on a loss of power. The manual does "strongly recommend" an UPS...

ekelley

Cadet
I have it on a ups but its not connected to do remote shutdown I have that setup on my DB server.
Is this a common issue with FreeNAS? Do they have a fix for it. I did tests on the drive that keeps ddroopingand it passed with both freenas test and WD test.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The issue isn't with FreeNAS. The behavior is the same for hardware RAID controllers.

On a loss of power FreeNAS recognizes that the RAID may not be clean. There may have been partial writes that were not made on both disks. The check is to verify that both disks really are in sync with each other.

There really isn't a "fix" for it except to not do improper shutdowns. There's probably a way to prevent it from doing the check, but the reason for the check is to verify your data is on both disks. If you disabled that check you might someday find your mirror is corrupted which obviously isn't desired.

I'm not sure what your DB server runs for an OS, but if you can run a script on your DB server that ssh's into your FreeNAS server and sends the command shutdown -p now during the shutdown that can alleviate the issue. The FreeNAS server will start shutting down with your DB server. There is a program called plink that is VERY handy for this sort of thing. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

paleoN

Wizard
I have it on a ups but its not connected to do remote shutdown I have that setup on my DB server.
What's the DB server? If it's using NUT than 9.1 finally has GUI Slave support for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.