Supermicro and SSDs hate each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangopango

Contributor
Sometimes, my Supermicro motherboard will notice the SSD, but often, it will not. Most of the time, it'll say it's detected a SSD but it doesn't know which one, and sometimes it'll be able to tell what type of SSD it is, and then there are times when it won't detect anything at all. I've tried every possible SATA port. It's also very annoying to wait 2 minutes for the booting process to be over which is something the motherboard has to go through every time it restarts.

Can anyone provide me with a list of SSDs that actually work with Supermicro motherboards, because it doesn't like my Corsair SSD from 2010.

Last edited:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Can anyone provide me with a list of SSDs that actually work with Supermicro motherboards, because it doesn't like my Corsair SSD from 2010.

A "Corsair SSD from 2010" might probably informally called obsolete and possibly faulty consumer stuff if you don't show more information. Please provide more details about your hardware components.

Most halfway reasonable SATA SSDs should work on arbitrarily chosen Supermicro boards as a boot device, though, as many other postings in this forum have shown.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Have you tried to use any other SSD?
I have a Supermicro server that is booting reliably from SSD for over a year with zero problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
the SSD is cssd-f115gb2-a

And please show us the output of smartctl -x applied to this device (in code tags). Does it have the latest available firmware?

rangopango

Contributor
This is the only spare SSD I have.

I can't get LAN to work, so I can't access FreeNAS web GUI. Either I've bought a broken motherboard, or there's something I have to do in the BIOS settings which doesn't make any sense because there are no LAN options in the BIOS. There are no network interfaces, and I don't know how to grab a list of hard drives/SSDs on BSD. There's also nothing wrong with my Ethernet cables or switch and router.

4ec4375898.jpg

9770c38fc6.jpg

36d14a65ce.jpg

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
not literally smartctl -x, smartctl -x /dev/ada#, where # is the drive designation number

eg smartctl -x /dev/ada1

edit: if you only have console and screeshots...

smartctl -x /dev/ada# | more

so you can see it all

rangopango

Contributor
edit: nevermind I figured it out, I'm not sure how to scroll up though, and the mouse doesn't work at all. I put the Ethernet cable in my other two LAN ports and rebooted and there's no LAN activity. Also for some reason, there are two boot loaders for my SSD, I'll try and grab a picture when I reboot it again.

6bbba4f20c.jpg

e9411a6644.jpg

Last edited:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

rangopango

Contributor
I got LAN to work (the LEDs are blinking), but now I can't get past the booting process.

Whenever my motherboard manages to find my SSD, it gives me this error. Am I even supposed to use UEFI FreeNAS instead of BIOS FreeNAS on this motherboard? I could boot just fine before getting my LAN fixed on my motherboard..
0abb0e81ab.jpg

pschatz100

Guru
On my Supermicro X9SCM, I had to set up my boot SSD for BIOS boot.

In the bios, the system sees two boot devices for the same SSD: one for UEFI and the other for BIOS. On my machine, the UEFI boot device is labelled as UEFI XXXXXXXXX.

I would do the following: Install FreeNAS on the SSD for BIOS Boot. This is an installation option.

If needed, enable Legacy boot Option in your motherboard bios (it might be called Legacy, or BIOS depending on the bios version) and then select the proper device as your boot device.

If you search the forum, you will find some old posts about this very issue.

rangopango

Contributor
Yes, it shows up as two boot devices for me as well, one is called UEFI OS and the other is the name of the SSD. So I need to choose BIOS instead of UEFI during the install for this motherboard?

pschatz100

Guru
Yes, I would try choosing the BIOS install. I posted my experiences with this quite some time ago, and you can probably find it with a search.

On my X9SCM board, when booting off USB thumb drives everything worked fine as UEFI boot. When I decided to update my boot device to an SSD, UEFI boot would not work. The install onto the SSD went OK, the motherboard saw the new device OK, but the system would not boot reliably. I do not know why and never bothered to figure it out.

Eventually, I tried a fresh install using the BIOS boot option during the installation process. After setting the motherboard to allow BIOS boot (on some boards it is called LEGACY) and selecting the right device, everything worked OK. I have been stable for a year.

artlessknave

Wizard
I get that every time I try and use UEFI. I use bios boot and install exclusively, because I haven't figured out why uefi never works, and cuz I just don't see why I should bother even trying to get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.