Suggestions for expanding storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcoat

MVP
Anyone have experience with their reliability?
What would be the best way to burn them in before putting them in the TrueNAS and how long is a good burn in time?

Lots of us have WD Reds and I don't recall any negative reports of note, typically quite the opposite - there's frequent discussion about drive choices here - do a search and you'll find lots to look at.

With respect to the burn-in - look in the Resources section here for https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/building-burn-in-and-testing-your-freenas-system.38 Also search for "Uncle Festers Guide" or look for link in @danb35's signature - it has a section about hard drive burn-in with detailed instructions on Smart testing and badblocks use.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I've had very good results with the Seagate drives. At work I have a bunch of Seagate Constellations that are over five and a half years of run time 24/7 and still going strong but I do have plans to replace them. At home I have a bunch of Seagate Desktop drives that are over 5 years. Out of the 16 Seagate Constellation drives at work I only had two failures and out of the 24 Seagate Desktop drives at home I only had 7 failures.
I don't think that's too bad but your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Bob Paddock

Cadet
If you have a TrueNAS, that implies you have a support contract. FreeNAS is the, well free, version of the software. TrueNAS is the paid version that is probably only sold on iXsystems' hardware. If it really is a TrueNAS and you still have a support contract, then they would answer your question, (both which drives to buy, and how to maintain support).

That said, it's more likely you did not know the difference. (This is also to clarify the difference between TrueNAS and FreeNAS for other people reading the thread.)

Back to the question, sorry, my only 8TB disk is a Seagate Archive SMR. Rarely used, as it's a backup disk.

Contract is up so I'm on my own; I do know the difference. Did not think there was a TrueNAS form to ask questions on?

The 8T Easystore's mentioned above are on sale at Best Buy for $159 right now. Sadly limit of two per customer.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The 8T Easystore's mentioned above are on sale at Best Buy for $159 right now. Sadly limit of two per customer.
Take a friend! That is a deal.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Apologies if this is not the correct place to ask, this thread is along the lines of my question.

I have a four bay TrueNAS with four 3T WD Red drives.
With the holiday sales I'm thinking of upgrading them to 8T WD Reds.

Anyone have experience with their reliability?
What would be the best way to burn them in before putting them in the TrueNAS and how long is a good burn in time?
I have six 16 bay chassis at work with the WD Red drives in them. So out of 96 drives, in the 3 years they have been running, I have had to replace 9 drives. I will let you make your own decisions on what that tells you. Those drives are all the 4TB WD Red drives.
I have another system with 60 of the 6TB WD Red Pro drives and

Correction: I have had to replace 3 of those in the year it has been online.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Did not think there was a TrueNAS form to ask questions on?
You are certainly welcome here. I don't know of a TrueNAS forum. The hardware and software is probably similar enough that we could offer some good pointers.

Arwen

MVP
Contract is up so I'm on my own; I do know the difference. Did not think there was a TrueNAS form to ask questions on?
If your contract is up, even if there was a TrueNAS forum, you would probably loose access to it when the contract expires.

Glad you have experience. Some new users here need a little assistance with the terminology.

Last, in case you don't know, TrueNAS tends to run behind the versions of FreeNAS. Basically FreeNAS is the development and test version of TrueNAS. Unless you have a very stable and secure environment, (including network and clients), in time you may want to change over to FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.