Expanding Pool with VDevs

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuznutz04

Dabbler
I currently have 1 pool (dspool1) consisting of 2 RaidZ2 vdevs, each having 8 disks in each vdev. I have 1 additional disk dedicated as a hot spare. I now want to increase the storage capacity of the box, and I have 13 more slots available in the box, which I have just filled with new hard drives. So my question has 3 parts.

1. Is there any downside to adding more vdevs to the existing pool or is it a better approach to create a new pool altogether for these new drives? (Keep the old pool intact, just create an additional one)

2. What is the best option for adding these drives to the pool?
    1. Create 2 new vdevs, each with 6 disks each (total of 12), and then dedicate the remaining 1 drive as an additional hot spare?

2. Create 1 new vdev, consisting of 12 drives, then dedicating the remaining 1 drive as an additional hot spare?

3. If I am adding vdevs to the existing pool, what is the preferred method to add/expand the pool?
    1. Through the FreeNAS GUI using the “Extend volume” option

2. Through the command line using “zpool add <existing poolname> raidz2 disk1 disk2 disk2, etc.
Thanks!

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
1. No problem to add vdevs, but in the end it depends on what you want (one big pool or two smaller pools?)

2. Best option is 1. as 2. is pushing the limits on the vdev size

3. Certainly not 2., always use the GUI ;)

fuznutz04

Dabbler
1. No problem to add vdevs, but in the end it depends on what you want (one big pool or two smaller pools?)

2. Best option is 1. as 2. is pushing the limits on the vdev size

3. Certainly not 2., always use the GUI ;)

Thanks. With the GUI, I would create just as I've shown in the screenshot, correct?

Attachments

• Pool Extend.jpg
    Pool Extend.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 494

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yes, but just to be sure wait for another answer as I've never extended a volume before.

fuznutz04

Dabbler
Great, and there is no need to backup anything? From what I've read, the change is instant; correct?

fuznutz04

Dabbler
So I attempted to pull the trigger on this and I am receiving the message "You are trying to add a virtual device consisting of 6 devices in a pool that has a virtual device consisted of 8 devices." See screenshot. It won't let me create the new Vdevs to expand the pool. Do I need to add each new Vdev 1 at a time?

Attachments

• PoolExpandError.jpg
    PoolExpandError.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 470

danb35

Hall of Famer
Looks like one of FreeNAS's "seatbelt" features to make it harder for you to mess up your pool. The "Manual setup" button should still let you do this.

fuznutz04

Dabbler
Looks like one of FreeNAS's "seatbelt" features to make it harder for you to mess up your pool. The "Manual setup" button should still let you do this.
Bingo. Manual always works, right? :) Created each new vdev separately, and then another spare drive and all is well now. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.