Expanding a Zpool with a new Vdev FreeNAS 8.2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmustard

Cadet
I am currently running FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950). The current setup is: 8x 2TB drives in RAID-Z2. I wish to expand the Volume using 6x 3TB drives in RAID-Z2. I have read Cyberjock's guide (thank you for it btw) and he is VERY clear (Slide 25) that if I add a Vdev to a Zpool it can't be undone. I am afraid of adding the disks individually giving myself back a single point of failure. He illustrates this on slides 28 and 29. I would like something similar to example 7 on slide 27 where there are 2x RAID-Z2 Vdevs in a single zpool.

I am not entirely sure how to do this. The expand option looks diffrent than the current screen shot on the wiki. I am not sure if this is simply a visual change for clarity or if there is more going on.

I am guessing that the issue might be my older version of Freenas. Freenas 8.2 is ZFSv15 while the newest version is ZFSv28. I looked through what each version added but am not sure if "multiple vdev replacements" is what I need.

I am certainly open to updating my Freenas version but have been avoiding it since my current setup works.

Attached is a screenshot in the expand menu for expanding my existing ZPool (navi). I am sure I am doing something silly.

Untitled.png

Thank you for your time,
--Cmustard

cmustard

Cadet
I read the guide here: http://www.freenas.org/images/resources/freenas8.2/freenas8.2_guide.html

It says:
When extending a volume, ZFS supports the addition of virtual devices (vdevs) to an existing volume (ZFS pool). A vdev can be a single disk, a stripe, a mirror, a RAIDZ1, or a RAIDZ2. Once a vdev is created, you can not add more drives to that vdev ; however, you can stripe a new vdev (and its disks) with the same type of existing vdev in order to increase the overall size of ZFS the pool. In other words, when you extend a ZFS volume, you are really striping vdevs.

As I understand that, I need to create a new Vdev with my new disks and stripe it with my existing Vdev. This seems consistent with Cyberjock's presentation. This may sounds extremely basic but is there a way to create a Vdev not through the volume manager? I feel like I am using the volume tool to create a Zpool when I need the ???? tool to create a Vdev which I can then add to the Vpool.

I'm sorry if this is something simple but I have read quite extensively and feel like I am missing something.

Thank you,
--Cmustard

edit: formatting

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What you do is select the pool to "extend", choose the disks you want to add, then choose your vdev type and other settings, then do add.

I'm not sure why you are using 8.2.0 as there are major security risks involved with all of the older versions.

D

dlavigne

"6.3.4 Using Volume Manager After a Volume Has Been Created" of that version of the Guide is the one that will do what you want to accomplish.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are really concerned about this, do it in a VM to test it and prove that you get what you want.

cmustard

Cadet
I decided to upgrade Freenas prior to expanding my Zpool. That way it would be exactly as described on the wiki and I wouldn't be so worried. One odd issue I ran into was I had to upgrade to 8.3.0-p1 prior to going to 9.2. I kept getting the error "Firmware Invalid". I am not sure what the issue is but I assume it has to do with the Zpool version since 8.3 has v28 while 8.2 has v15. Anyway, I downloaded 8.3.0-p1 and let it do it's thing via the webgui. I then downloaded 9.2.0 and also updated via the webgui. FYI it takes a bit to upgrade (say 20 minutes) so be patient if you are in the same boat as me. After it was upgraded to 9.2 I followed the instructions and now have plenty of free space and redunancy. Now all I have to do is fiddle with my plugins a bit and decide if I want to upgrade my Zpool.

I'd like to thank you for all of your help and support. There is a lot of good information in these forums.
--Cmustard

Status
Not open for further replies.