Stuck on the "FreeNAS 8.0.3 Console Setup" window

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic

Cadet
I've burned the 8.0.3 iso and booted with it on my server. I successfully get to the Console Setup Window and when I hit 1. to Install it, nothing happens and I'm stuck on that menu.

Note that the other menu items are working. I can open a shell prompt or reboot/restart the system.

Help :).

Thanks!

nic

Cadet
Any thoughts on this? I must be doing somethings wrong and I would really appreciate some help :).

Thanks!

gustavofx

Cadet
Hi nic,

I'm having similar problem as yours except i can get pass the boot menu, untill the USBbus scanning, where it freezes.
It's a very slimmed notebook: 700MB RAM (give or take) , Intel Celeron 2GHz.

I tried to replicate the RAM setting in a VM (VirtualBOx and VMWare Player) and the boot goes without a problem, i can install freeNAS, and get it up and running.

Could be a hardware compatibility problem.
Still investigating...

Cheers !

gustavofx

Cadet
Any reason why you don't install the OS directly on a USB stick?

Hello TECK ,

I haven't explored that solution yet, but i'm a bit sceptic if this laptop will boot from usb stick.
Anyway, i believe the scenario described in my post will hold.

Will give it a try, install it to a USB stick and come back here for some feedback.

Thank You ,
Cheers!

Gustavo

nic

Cadet
I'd like to set it up on a production server and I'd rather not set it up on a USB stick that may get knock down or that may fail :(.

I was wondering if I could setup FreeBSD on the server and then install the FreeNAS piece.
Is that a possibility? If it is, what would be the installation steps? What would be the potential issues down the road, especially w/r/t updates? As I said, I'd like this to be used on a production server :).

Thanks for the help!!!

gustavofx

Cadet
Hello TECK, hello nic,

I have tried installing FreeNAS 8.0.3 using a CD-ROM , and a USB stick, with no success.

The computer's chipset is : sis671MX

So for each boot this is the exact point where it gets stuck:

-> booting with the cd-rom:
ugen2.2: <Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.) at usbus2

-> booting with the usb stick:
umass0: < usb_pen_manufacturer_name > on usbus2

As posted before i can boot/install/run FreeNAS using a VirtualBox VM, even using 256MB memory setting. But i prefer doing a bare metal install, as the machine's memory is, well.. scarce.

Cheers!
Thank You

gustavofx

Cadet
Hi William,

I think the BIOS already has that setting you mention. When i insert the usb stick, and enter BIOS, the device is already listed as a HDD, in the boot menu. So, it boots.
In fact, it is a rather limited BIOS regarding power management and other chipset settings.
The computer is an intelbras i10 model, assembled in Brazil.

Their support page has the windows drivers (Tela 14,1" - 01J):
http://ecenter.intelbras.com.br/outpublisher/suporte/pt/driver_note.php

No BIOS updates.

Cheers!
Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.