No Console Setup Menu after Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pincorrect

Dabbler
I am setting up a new system with a Supermicro X11SSH-F motherboard, 8 sata disks for storage, and two 32gb USB 3.0 flash drives for booting. I installed from the latest 9.10-STABLE iso (mounted as a virtual cd via IPMI), selecting the 2 USB drives (da0 and da1) for installation.

That seemed to proceed normally. When it finished, it told me to remove my installation disk and reboot. I did this, and it booted from the USB drives.

When it rebooted, the usual hardware messages appeared, then finally it said "Press ESC in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue." I just let that time out. I expected that this would take me to the "Console Setup Menu" as described in Chapter 3 of the the manual (Booting). I planned to get into the FreeBSD shell and do further testing of my new hardware before building my disk array.

However, instead of getting the Console Setup Menu, it simply dropped me into a "Shell>" prompt. I cannot seem to do anything here, not even "ls" (Cannot open current directory - No Mapping) or pwd (not recognized). Where did it put me and how do I make it bring up the Console Setup Menu described in the documentation? Did I forget to do something during the install? I expected it to boot straight into this menu, from the documentation.

Also confusing to me is the next part of the manual describes the administrative gui and describes the login/password dialog for the root password chosen during setup, and then the main gui. How to I make it go from the Console Setup Menu (once I figure out how to get that up!) to the full gui interface?

Thanks!

pincorrect

Dabbler
Just an update on this. The "Shell>" prompt I am getting seems to be the built-in EFI shell prompt. In fact, typing ? gives me the EFI Shell command list. I should mention that during the install, I chose the format the USB drives in UEFI mode. I do have the built in shell configured as one of the boot devices, but it is like #7 on the list. First on the list is the UEFI USD flash drive. And it does display what looks like a bunch of FreeBSD boot messages before it gives me this shell. Is it possible for it to go through the whole boot then drop you in the EFI shell at the end?

pincorrect

Dabbler
OK, I think I figured out the first part of my question. On the Boot priority menu, I thought "UEFI USB Key" and "USB Key" represented USB flash drives. The bios actually calls them "UEFI USB Hard Disk" and "USB Hard Disk". I don't know why it calls them "hard disks" and I wonder what a "USB key" is now.

I had the built-in EFI shell at the end of my list, and it went to it as a fallback. It was the first time I booted into it, and the startup messages had a "BSD flavor", so I thought it was booting off my USB drive. I fixed my boot list, and now it boots right up into the Console Setup Menu, as advertised. Sorry for the false alarm on that!

That still leaves my other question. How do you bring up the full gui interface instead of the console menu?

minialta

Cadet
My FreeNAS just keeps rebooting after the installation no menu or anything, do you have any advice? :/

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Start a different thread that contains your hardware specs and the version of FreeNAS you installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.