Trying to install FreeNAS, can not move past the console boot menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Dabbler
I am in the process of installing FreeNAS, I have a bootable usb drive with FreeNAS 11.1 iso. After installing FreeNAS, I reboot and it appears to go through a configuring process and stops at the console setup menu.
At the moment my NAS box isnt connected to my network or internet. I was going to burn in the hard drives before connecting it to the network. I am guessing that FreeNAS needs to be connected to the internet to complete setup. Is that correct?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
No that's not correct.

Please give us a complete listing of all your hardware, including the make/model of the mobo, amount/type of RAM, and even the USB drive.

AND_YOU_ARE

Dabbler
My build is as follows:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSH-F-O
Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5 GHz LGA 1151
Supermicro Certified MEM-DR416L-SL01-EU21 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2133 ECC (2x 16GB)
Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20
Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-550FX 550W
NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case
8x 8TB WD Red
1x 64GB Adata SSD

I installed FreeNAS on the SSD.
Four of the WD Reds are connected to the Dell H310 and four are connected to the motherboard. I have verified that the drives on the HBA are visible in the bios and during installation.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sir,

It dawns on me, that everything is fine.? Perhaps I didn't understand you rightly the first time through.

When FreeNAS boots up, you should have a console with about a dozen choices. That's it, that's normal. That means your FreeNAS is up and running.

Of course, there's nothing to do with it, really, unless it has an IP address :)

AND_YOU_ARE

Dabbler
Right now it does not have an IP address. I do not have the NAS box plugged into my switch. It just has an old keyboard and LCD plugged into it, no network cable or anything else.

Edit:

When I boot up the NAS Box, it eventually comes to the Console Setup with the 12 options. Below the 12 options there is the following message: "The web interface could not be accessed. Please check the network configuration." Enter an option from 1-12: __

Last edited by a moderator:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Indeed. If you have no network connection, then the web interface cannot be "bound" to a meaningful IP address, and thus will not start. You need to set up some kind of network connection sir.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
If your network router does not have a DHCP server (most do), assign a static IP address to the FreeNAS. For that matter, giving the FreeNAS a static IP address is preferable anyway.

AND_YOU_ARE

Dabbler
It sounds like FreeNAS needs to be connected to a network to boot up completely. Or does it need access to the internet as well?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Youre not following sir.

Your FreeNAS ***IS*** booted up. It is running. It is NASing, as it were. But, without a network connection, there is nothing you're going to feasibly be able to do with it.

AND_YOU_ARE

Dabbler
Okay.
I connected my NAS box to a bridged connection network port on a laptop. Now while booting up my NAS box, I come to the same 12 options on the Console setup menu. But now it lists the web interface as Http://192.168.1.152. I am still prompted with entering an option of 1-12.
Whats next?

Redcoat

MVP

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Redcoat

MVP
Ah, yes, thx.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.