• Currently using VMware at work? We want to hear from you.

Thinking of making a switch from VMware? We'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback about which hypervisor you have been researching or already using. Click here to vote and share your thoughts! You can vote HERE!

Attempt to upgrade to FN 8.0.3 did not go smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisheater

Explorer
Update: Attempt to upgrade to FN 8.0.3 did not go smoothly.

I tried my usual routine of downloading the ISO and upgrading my flash drive. When I rebooted my FN8 NAS it was stuck booting up, leaving me at a manual mount point. I tried to redownload and reburn the ISO, tried to burn it on other CDs, yet nothing worked.

From the forums, I did learn to back up my config before attempted upgrades. I downgraded to 8.0.2 and reinstalled my config file -> it works.

100% for a robust system.

FE

fisheater

Explorer
Update, tried to upgrade via GUI, no luck. The when I reinstalled FN 8.0.2 via my desktop, I was unable to reinsert my USB drive in the back so I turned the computer. The USB socket was BLUE! 8.0.2 worked there, 8.0.3 did not. I move the dongle, did GUI update and it works very well.

And an added bonus is that my physical memory was formely stuck at 6 of 8 GB used, now drops to less than 512KB when not under load.

Great stuff. Hope someone else reads this and tries a non-blue USB socket.

FE

LAYGO

Explorer
A blue USB port is typically indicative of a USB3.0 port. It is backwards compatible with USB2.0 though too. The only only issue is would be using a USB3.0 device in a 2.0 slot, it should still function, but not at 3.0 speeds.

LAYGO

Explorer

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
FreeNAS doesn't have a USB requirement. It should work on all versions.

"It should" isn't quite the same as "it does" ;)

Can someone from iXSystems perhaps comments on the problem which was outlined here?

Status
Not open for further replies.