Strange VM behaviour upgrading from Core to Scale

panzerscope

Contributor
Hello.

Today I upgraded my TrueNas install from Core to Scale (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.1), however I am having an issue with my existing VM. In short my TrueNas scale sits on an IP address of 192.168.1.10. I already had a Windows 10 VM installed from when I was on Core, this VM would have mapped network drives to the data sitting on TrueNas.

When on CORE, My Windows 10 VM would allow me to connect to my TrueNas at 192.168.1.10 and thus my mapped network drives worked too. However since going to Scale, I notice that for whatever reason my VM will no longer see 192.168.1.10. I cannot reach the TrueNas UI via the browser and Pings to the IP address result in a "Destination Host Unreachable"

I have confirmed that the VM is sat on the correct network, Its IP is 192.168.1.161, to rule out the NIC type I have tried both Intel & VIO. I know that the VM can see other devices on my network as I can browse to them, for example, my Pfsense box that sits at 192.168.1.1

I am at a loss why this worked fine on Core but on Scale something has changed making my data on TrueNas unreachable within my VM.

Any help/thoughts appreciated.

panzerscope

Contributor
As an update, the bridge solved my issue.

However I have a quick question, again regarding VM. So I am setting up a new VM install to read from the same Windows10 ISO as I used recently, when on CORE.

However when finalizing my settings to install the VM, I get a permissions error from TrueNas as below.

1655923338531.png

I am logged in as the root user, I in fact just added root with full read permissions of the directory where the ISO is sitting (Just in case). So I must be missing something. Any ideas ?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
@panzerscope, forum search is your friend.

panzerscope

Contributor
@panzerscope, forum search is your friend.

That it is! Thanks for pointing that topic out, that fixed my issue

panzerscope

Contributor
I have a new problem relating to this. So I had the bridge setup and working just fine. All setting applied perfectly and the VM was working as intended. Upon reboot of the TrueNas system, while the console states it has the static IP setup as before of 192.168.1.10, I can no longer get to the UI of the TrueNas. I have to go into the console and remove the bridge before I can get access. Any ideas ?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Don't know of a problem here.. new 22.02.2 is available to test/use.

Otherwise, please post your "interfaces" from the UI... or does it fail when you enable the bridge?
I'd check default gateways and your client IP address?

panzerscope

Contributor
Well, I still do not know what caused the issue, it was still in 22.02.2. Instead I enabled another interface on DHCP and created a bridge with that instead, and this worked just fine. I was able to reboot TrueNas without any issues and still working now, so while I "Fixed" it, I am not sure as the root cause.

panzerscope

Contributor
Ironically I am in the process of installing a second VM. I set up everything just fine, allocate the VM its storage space via the initial setup, but when I go to start the VM I get

1656237206872.png

I have tried numerous times but for some reason it stops being able to access the disk space assigned to it ?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I always dislike "spaces in names".... eg "VM HDD"
There are so many layers in the stack that can interpret them wrong.
Can we remove and check.

panzerscope

Contributor
I always dislike "spaces in names".... eg "VM HDD"
There are so many layers in the stack that can interpret them wrong.
Can we remove and check.

Good catch! My original VM is using a Dataset with the name "VM HDD". This VM works right now, but as you cannot rename a dataset (at least not from the UI), is there a way for me to create a new "VM-HDD" named dataset and move a ZVOL from the old dataset "VM HDD" to the new dataset?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Why not just zfs rename path/to/VM\ HDD path/to/VM-HDD in the Shell, and then adjust the device property to the new path?

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Why not just zfs rename path/to/VM\ HDD path/to/VM-HDD in the Shell, and then adjust the device property to the new path?
Before doing that... is it necessary to rename the path/dataset? Knowing the 1st VM worked makes me doubt this is the issue.
Are there other permissions checks to be done?