Truenas Scale and Pfsense VM with Passtrough

Nomsur

Cadet
Hello,

i like to change from Truenas Core to Truenas Scale and virtualize all my other machines with Truenas.
For my Pfsense firewall i like to have an own Pcie Intel Nic exclusively for the VM.
Is it possible to passtrough an Intel Nic to the VM?

For Truenas Core there is an working guide with bhyve but i havent found anything for Truenas Scale.

Ty for your help.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, its more or less the same process on SCALE. You add a new device and select "PCI Passthrough" type:

1644245026532.png

kingwilliam

Cadet
1. at linux shell use lspci command
2. search the pci device
3. if device is 00:03.0 the pci passthru device is pci_0000_00_03_0

picture come from

Attachments

• linux-lspci.png
    linux-lspci.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 498

kingwilliam

Cadet
one more things

4. but, at ADD pci passthru device don't click too fast, you need give little time the system to search device, if not, the list is empty, pls try after 15 second, you can choice pci device form the list

rliver73

Cadet
hi. just wanted to confirm that this is possible and works well. i have an Dell R320. the onboard nics are eno1 and eno2. the intel card has 2 nics. do lspci to identify them and then its easy to pass these through to the vm. i created bridges: eno1 > br1 and eno2 > br2. i assigned static ip to both br1 (192.168.0.5/24) and br2 (192.168.10.5/24) and cleared all entries for eno1 and eno2. i added br1 to the pfsense vm too which became vtnet0. the passed through intel nics appear as igb0 and igb1. i set igb0 as WAN and igb1 as OPT1. I set vtnet0 as LAN.

the truenas webgui should be available on the above ip address (or whatever you choose)

I tried to bridge eno1 and eno2 to a single bridge i.e. br0 (and setting a static ip to this) but for some reason i found that i couldn't access the webgui reliably.

I found that it was better to assign the interfaces from the truenas console and rebooting when i was satisfied it was correct. I set up pfsense from VNC viewer in the VM page. I set the VM to be UEFI and made sure I installed the UEFI image from the installer.

hope that helps.