Move to scale: help windows VM + BlueIris

GerritTSnail

Dabbler
I am trying to migrate from my previous setup (truenas core machine + ESXI machine for vms) to one machine running truenas Scale. Everythin is going "fine" until i am trying to get a windows 10 VM up and running with BlueIris. Why? electricity prices....

I can get the vm up and running fine. I installed all the KVM guest tools from here https://github.com/virtio-win/virtio-win-pkg-scripts/blob/master/README.md (no device manager erros anymore). Blueiris installes OK for as far as i know but when i try to run it the VM freezes and reboots. Nothing can be found in the vm's reliability monitor other than "an unexpected system shutdown".
This happens on both (host model and host passtrough cpu)

I tried following this thread i found but ran into a similar problem. My system wont boot into windows (just boot loops) when swithced to KVM64 cpu model or wont even install (boot CD) when trying to make a new VM. https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/hard-crash-launching-64-bit-version-on-win10-kvm-vm.25511/page-2

A this moment i am a bit at the end of my knwoledge.
Can this be solved?
I had all this up and running on the same cpu's on ESXI so it should be possible in scale no?
My alternatives are a badly updated docker... or ubuntu with wine with its own problems...
(no i dont want to move away form blue iris, i had zoneminder and i hated every minute of it)

System:
OS Version:TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4
Product:PRIMERGY TX200 S6
Model: 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5640 @ 2.67GHz
Memory:94 GiB

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Has anyone else successfully used those KVM guest tools?

If you install without them... does it fail or just report errors?

GerritTSnail

Dabbler
Has anyone else successfully used those KVM guest tools?

If you install without them... does it fail or just report errors?
So i just made a new VM and tried installing BI without intalling the guest tools. (cpu host passthrough)
When i now start BI I do not only get a freeze but an actual BSOD "kernel security failure"

This also makes me think again of a warning i get when booting truenas: "L1TF cpu bug present and SMT on, data leak possible"
I searched for this on some fora and the general consensus i understood is that it could just be ignored.

When writing this it also brings me to another question: the above warning says SMT is on, but when i try to boot a VM with CPU model QEMU64 i get an error that the cpu does not provide the feature SVM?

I am just listing al weard thing i notice so that someone more knwoledgeable maybe can make somthing of this.

GerritTSnail

Dabbler
So i just made a new VM and tried installing BI without intalling the guest tools. (cpu host passthrough)
When i now start BI I do not only get a freeze but an actual BSOD "kernel security failure"

This also makes me think again of a warning i get when booting truenas: "L1TF cpu bug present and SMT on, data leak possible"
I searched for this on some fora and the general consensus i understood is that it could just be ignored.

When writing this it also brings me to another question: the above warning says SMT is on, but when i try to boot a VM with CPU model QEMU64 i get an error that the cpu does not provide the feature SVM?

I am just listing al weard thing i notice so that someone more knwoledgeable maybe can make somthing of this.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    339.2 KB · Views: 104

GerritTSnail

Dabbler
Also some windows dump files from the crashes. according to some fora thes should be albe to identify the cause of the crash. if you know how to interprete them.

Attachments

• wetransfer_111422-10921-01-dmp_2022-11-14_2245.zip
    2 MB · Views: 91

GerritTSnail

Dabbler
Was in contact with BI support, they also have no clue what is going on here.
Currently running Zoneminder as a backup and migrating to Frigate.