Strange output from daily email

Status
Not open for further replies.

WMTaylor3

Cadet
Hi All,

New to the forums and FreeNAS in general, let me know if I've made some faux par here or posted this in the wrong place!

I'm getting the daily emails from my FreeNAS which I'm perfectly happy to receive, however, for the last two days the emails have consisted only of:
Code:
No /var/log/mount.today

No /var/log/dmesg.today

-- End of security output --

Which I get the impression from reading other peoples forum posts on the topic is not what I should be getting?
I have checked using Shell and found that the /var/log directory does exist but doesn't contain either of these files...
Also (if it makes any difference) in my NAS GUI under System > System Dataset, I had neither "Syslog" nor "Reporting Dataset" selected. I have just enabled "Syslog" in case that makes any difference.

Specs as follows:
Build: FreeNAS-11.1-U2
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H
CPU: Intel i3-7100
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
HDDS: 2x3TB WD Reds in Mirror + 2x4TB WD Reds in Mirror. 16GB USB3 Flashdrive for FreeNAS OS.
Built in ethernet connection.

Many thanks in advance!
William

EDIT: Added Specs

Last edited:

link_1983

Cadet
Hi I am having the same problem. Does anybody know the solutions to solving this?
Thanks.

WMTaylor3

Cadet
Hi Link,

I'ts quite astonishing that you chose today to comment here because I've just woken up (NZ time) and for the first time since I built the FreeNAS the daily email seems to contain information!

I'm not sure what I did to resolve the issue or if it just fixed itself but one way or another the emails seem to contain things like as follows:

Code:
NASName.local changes in mounted filesystems:
24a25
> VolumeName/DataSetName		/mnt/VolumeName/DataSetName zfs rw,nfsv4acls	0 0

NASName.local kernel log messages:
> arp: 192.168.1.1 moved from 00:E6:f2:10:b8:77 to d0:ff:7e:20:8e:c2 on em0
> arp: 192.168.1.191 moved from 00:18:f3:01:b8:6f to d0:5f:7e:28:8e:e3 on em0

-- End of security output --

(For the purposes of this copy and paste I have replaced the actual name of my NAS and all it's volumes and datasets etc with Generic ones like "NASName" etc as well as modified all the IP and MAC addresses, I doubt it was needed but why not?)

So all I can suggest is that you sit tight really and hope that things come right for you as they did for me. The only other thing I can think of is that yesterday was the first day since I enabled "Syslog" (as referred to in my original post) that I've done any actual modifications like adding datasets and deleting them etc. If I had to make a guess as to if that's had anything to do with it I would assume that enabling Syslog made the NAS start looking out for any modifications that take place on it to be sent out in the daily email however it didn't make a difference until this morning as yesterday was the first day I did anything email worthy.

Total guess from a noob of course but you can also give that a go and see if it fixes it.

Hope it works!!

Status
Not open for further replies.