Still on FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6

Cronus94

Dabbler
Hi Everyone

So as the header suggests suggests I'm still running version 9.10.2 U6 on my nas server.

The only thing I really use it for is storage and plex.

Is it time I upgraded?
My only concern is that my plex jail might stop working, as I have seen many threads saying just that after people upgraded to 11.1

What are your thoughts?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
*I* am still on 9.10.2 U6 for my main server. I do run 11 on the backup server, but I am personally not at the point where I'm going to 11.whatever on a box that I don't have some tolerance for failure on. As @m0nkey_ says above, many of us will be sitting tight until the number of kinks decreases to a tolerable level.

cods69

Explorer
I'm still rocking 9.10.2-U6. It's a solid release!

Waiting for the kinks to be ironed out.

This precisely. Too much riding on my prod box @ home.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Maybe I'm wrong here, but I feel like, if you wait too long to upgrade, the changes will be so significant, it could cause issues?

I'm pretty confident you can backup your config, update, not upgrade the array and not really damage anything, so you could roll back.

11.1 has been fine for me, a couple of tiny issues, but even my old jails kept working.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm still rocking 9.10.2-U6. It's a solid release!

Waiting for the kinks to be ironed out.
Same here.

I do have a couple of internet facing jails that will no longer update once FreeBSD 10.3 is EOL so I hope the kinks get worked out in the 11 series soon.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Maybe I'm wrong here, but I feel like, if you wait too long to upgrade, the changes will be so significant, it could cause issues?

I'm pretty confident you can backup your config, update, not upgrade the array and not really damage anything, so you could roll back.

11.1 has been fine for me, a couple of tiny issues, but even my old jails kept working.
9.3 and up have been pretty good about that. Configs import nicely without craziness most of the time.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
9.3 and up have been pretty good about that. Configs import nicely without craziness most of the time.

Yep, and at worst you can always update to intermediate versions before updating to the most recent one.

Still on 9.3 BTW... rock stable, no bugs, no problems.

adrianwi

Guru
This seems to be one of the biggest challenges with FreeNAS - striking a balance between stablity, upgradability and functionality

I was on 9.3.1 for some time after 9.10 was released and only then upgraded to 9.10.1-U4 to keep VirtualBox. I've pretty much weaned myself off VirtualBox now using bhyve/iohyve so am probably at a point I could upgrade again, but to which version? I know I'm going to need to recreate some jails, as some were built back at 9.3 so won't update and the ones built in 9.10 will become problematic soon when FreeBSD 10.3 becomes EO.

11 still seems like its trying to pull things together after the Corral fiasco, with different interfaces and fucntionality between them. I'm hoping 11.2 resolves most of this and maybe 11.2-U2 might be the one to aim for? It's all become a lot more complicated though!

Cronus94

Dabbler
11 still seems like its trying to pull things together after the Corral fiasco, with different interfaces and fucntionality between them.
Yeah that's partly why I wasn't so sure if I should upgrade to the newer version.

I'm hoping 11.2 resolves most of this and maybe 11.2-U2 might be the one to aim for?

Yeah I hope your right.

Cronus94

Dabbler

eatkinola

Cadet
Late to the party, but found this thread after being extremely frustrated with 11.2. I had avoided updating from 9.3 ("if it ain't broke") until my boot drive finally gave up the ghost (bummer I hadn't mirrored it), so I figured what the hell might as well move to 11.2 ... four busted installations later and I'm scrambling backwards to 9.10; thankfully I hadn't upgraded my pools. 11.2 seems to me excruciatingly slow, and on reboots after doing some seemingly innocuous configuring (as I had done on 9.3) it totally craps out. I had zero problems with the version 9s and plan on using 9.10.2-U6 until the end of time.