Some Thoughts on the Forums - Please Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
I feel compelled that everyone needs to know the full story. I was sitting here while sipping my glass of earl gray tea when a member of the moderation team pinged me on IRC. They told me that they were browsing the forums the other day when a new user messaged them out of the blue and told them that I was unkind to him after he asked me how to create an array out of 20 generic USB flash drives he bought at the local gas station. Reluctantly, I admitted to the moderator that they were right. I was pretty upset with this user and had even told him he wasn’t my friend anymore. I feel bad about that, but we all have bad days. After some discussion and self-reflection on what led me to this point of unfriendliness, there was clearly only one way forward. Create a new theme that would inspire everyone on the forums.

Many of you know I’m an administrator on the FreeNAS forums and I happen to know a thing or two about CSS and javascript ;). Naturally, I went to my co-workers and the forum moderation team with this idea on re-theming the forums. After approximately 12 seconds of discussion, it was clear that everyone thought this was a terrible idea. One person even lamented this was a waste of time before rudely exiting. Unphased I proceeded to create a new theme that I’m sure you will agree is truly inspiring.

I knew what we needed was a new mascot that could help us send a better message on the FreeNAS Forums. I’m happy to announce the new FreeNAS mascots will now be ponies as you will see in the "Magical!" theme. Understanding the value of friendship isn’t always easy, but these ponies will be the perfect friendship ambassadors, and will hopefully help us remember the value of friendship. I hope you will all join me for this new rated G adventure in the FreeNAS forums.

Best Regards,

Josh

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
o_O

craigdt

Explorer
Don't know whether to vomit or gouge my eyes out, and yet its strangely addictive watching the ponies do their tricks :D

darkwarrior

Patron
Oh, it's Aprils fool day :D
I just hope somebody will have pitty with us and will not keep it until the end of the day :cool::p

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thank God it's just an April Fool's joke! I thought the forum had been infested with a Brony virus!

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
OMG You have NO IDEA how happy I am right now!
Then again, it's 12:30 in the morning, so it could just be the exhaustion speaking.

Also, shameless promotion: Everyone in the SFO Bay Area should come to BABSCon!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
April fools? I guess it would be better that way, but I don't think that's the case.

This was supposed to go live yesterday, but the theme selector didn't cooperate. It took 15 minutes to get a single person to be able to view it because it would simply not appear in the selector. Probably XenForo rebelling against this crime against human eyesight. Notice that we're even missing many of the old themes...

This does provide an opportunity for plausible deniability, by passing off the crazy idea as an April fools joke, as is clearly needed due to the backlash evidenced here.

darkwarrior

Patron
April fools? I guess it would be better that way, but I don't think that's the case.

This was supposed to go live yesterday, but the theme selector didn't cooperate. It took 15 minutes to get a single person to be able to view it because it would simply not appear in the selector. Probably XenForo rebelling against this crime against human eyesight. Notice that we're even missing many of the old themes...

This does provide an opportunity for plausible deniability, by passing off the crazy idea as an April fools joke, as is clearly needed due to the backlash evidenced here.

I actually don't know, but seeing how much performance that new theme is eating away, I 'm really hoping that this a joke :p

fishinfiend

Dabbler
Yea, what a April Fools Joke!! First, I was puzzled when I seen it. Then I thought I had a weird Virus of some sort that only affected the forum or the forum for some weird and unknown reason got infected. So, I did a quick google search brought me here and now I see I am not the only one with this problem.

FYI watch out for the pink pony cause it is taking a duck by its head and swinging it around. Just plain cruel.

nemisisak

Explorer
erm .... so can we get that tutorial to make a usb stick array then .... you know.... now we're all friends?

On a more serious note, loving the theme! Happy April fools everyone :)

fishinfiend

Dabbler
Where's @Robert Trevellyan when you need him?

We need him to wrangle up these ponies and put them in the Corral. :)

Why don't you wrangle them yourself by clicking on the pony and dragging it where you want it.

Yea, what a April Fools Joke!! First, I was puzzled when I seen it. Then I thought I had a weird Virus of some sort that only affected the forum or the forum for some weird and unknown reason got infected. So, I did a quick google search brought me here and now I see I am not the only one with this problem.

FYI watch out for the pink pony cause it is taking a duck by its head and swinging it around. Just plain cruel.
Same here. LOL.
I gotta hand it to you Josh, "pretty" work :D
The rainbow pony even sleeps!

D

DeletedUser67652

P8ilx0e.gif

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
You going to lie about me like that? Do I need to publicly post our telegram conversation about this?

Bro it's a joke!! Don't be so serious. Just so everyone knows @q5sys had nothing to do with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.