Some audio files can't be stored ? (TrueNAS problem ? ZFS problem ?)

Railgun

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I started off with Unraid but many of my audio files could'nt be transferred, as the following error popped out :
Error 0x80070299: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation
(Transfer is done from a USB Key to a SMB TrueNAS drive using Windows)

I read on some threads that it may be because of some meta data on the files, which is not a problem for NTFS drives. (Unraid uses XFS format)

So I tried with TrueNAS. It was better : Out of 3 000 audio files, only ~50 couldn't be transferred, the following error occurs for them :
Access to the destination folder denied

You must be authorized to perform this action
(translated from french Windows 11 error message)

Here is 3 examples of audio file impossible to store on my TrueNAS drive :

Is someone able to store these file on a ZFS TrueNAS drive ?

Thank you for your help.

(Sorry for my english)

Railgun

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I started off with Unraid but many of my audio files could'nt be transferred, as the following error popped out :

I read on some threads that it may be because of some meta data on the files, which is not a problem for NTFS drives. (Unraid uses XFS format)

So I tried with TrueNAS. It was better : Out of 3 000 audio files, only ~50 couldn't be transferred, the following error occurs for them :

Here is 3 examples of audio file impossible to store on my TrueNAS drive :

Is someone able to store these file on a ZFS TrueNAS drive ?

Thank you for your help.

(Sorry for my english)
Good lord ... I downloaded my files from the drive, and now they can be stored in my TrueNAS drive ...
But the original files still give me the error. It seems that Google Drive is cleaning the file from weird meta data ... any clues on that ? maybe a file cleaner or so ?

Davvo

MVP
This hints to a pernissions issue in the SMB share's ACL.

If you are able to transfer those files to Windows, you will then be able to transfer them from Windows to the SMB share (proven that you have correctly configured your permissions).

Edit: looks like it is a Windows error that pops up when the data is too fragmented or there is not enough space on the disk. Issue is very likely unRaid-related, but I can't help you because I don't know unRaid.

Last edited:

Railgun

Cadet
Edit: looks like it is a Windows error that pops up when the data is too fragmented or there is not enough space on the disk. Issue is very likely unRaid-related, but I can't help you because I don't know unRaid.
But this error pops with TrueNAS right now. I totally dropped Unraid.

If you are able to transfer those files to Windows, you will then be able to transfer them from Windows to the SMB share
Doesn't work, I transferred the file to my Documents in C:\, then on SMB but authorization error still there.

So it only happens with specific files?

It could also be:
  • Something funky with alternate data streams (ADS) <--- most likely culprit
    • Check your SMB share settings, toggle "Enable Alternate Data Streams"
  • Hidden/special characters in the filenames
    • Check your SMB share settings, toggle "Use Apple-style Character Encoding"

My hunch tells me those files have ADS (while on an NTFS filesystem), which are giving you issues. Disable the SMB share option "Enable Alternate Data Streams" and try again. (Uploading to Google Drive removes the ADS.)

Restart the SMB service after making the changes.

As for the Windows side of things, to see for yourself, run this command in PowerShell on Windows:
Code:
Get-Item Lemon.flac -Stream *

You'll see a standard $DATA stream, but below it you will also see an alternate ("hidden") steam. (Look for entries that read "Stream :")

Last edited:

Railgun

Cadet
  • Something funky with alternate data streams (ADS) <--- most likely culprit
    • Check your SMB share settings, toggle "Enable Alternate Data Streams"
Did the magic ! Now I got the message :
Do you really want to copy this file without its properties?

The file has properties that cannot be copied to the new location
But I can just click Yes and here we go ! Thank you sir !

But I can just click Yes and here we go ! Thank you sir !
This means that the ADS will be completely stripped. So now the files copied anywhere else, even back to an NTFS filesystem, will no longer have these (hidden) ADS. (Doesn't really matter since you're not using ADS, nor is there a point to them for home users in my opinion.)

I disable ADS for all my SMB shares.

Last edited: