multiple problems with freenas

abb

Cadet
edit:
i used truenas at this state for a couple of months recently i changed MB and installed a workstation intel 1Gb nic and now everything works as it should

a small rant:

i have installed truenas about 2 or 3 weeks ago and so far this thing sucks, Does someone actually use this thing in a production environment? if I had to work with truenas at my work I would have taken a 5 kg hammer to the machine and quit.

my problems so far:

1.slow file transfer speed, I have a 1 gig Realtek card, Synology rt2600ac as router and cisco sg110(1gig switch) and I get max speed of 65mbps or around 30 sustained(on windows server I got somewhere around 100mbps)

2.can't install any plugins-get pkg failed to install.

3.VM's can't connect the wan or the lan (win 10)

like man, darn my cheapskate behind, should have added 100-200 dollars and got my self 4 bays Synology NAS

*end*

about "pkg failed to install".

things I have tried so far:

I have multiple NICs one of which is defined with an APIPA and used only for wol, so I tried to disconnect it.

checked from the truenas machine that I have a connection to the WAN and that my DNS is responding by pinging google.com

I have tried to install multiple plugins both community-made and noncommunity-made.

I have tried to use a static IP address on the jail.

i have tried binding the jail to the internet-connected nic.

i have tried creating the jail manually.

about the vm's:

after installing win 10 its boot up as having no internet access,ofc my DHCP is online, tried the voit nic but it doesn't even show on the os and I can't ping even computer on the same lan even when setting static IP address, i have tried to connect another nic and made sure it is binding to the correct P-nic(1gb with internet access),i don't get what can be the problem and I am managing hyper v and ESXi infrastructure for a living.

spec:
TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1
intel xeon x5690
x58 motherboard
16gb of ecc reg ram
750w psu
1 10/100 nic
1 1gb nic (reltek)
pictures of the error I get
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Rn-NW5DfBrWMCkQieEr1AraJRkuM7d3X?usp=sharing

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Most of your performance issues are due to the Realtek card. As TrueNAS is derived from FreeBSD, it uses the upstream Realtek NIC driver, which isn't the most polished driver.

Also, your inability to install packages suggests your networking may not be completely configured. First places to look are your default gateway and your DNS server settings.

The VM issues seem to corroborate your system not having a default gateway.

TrueNAS is absolutely used in mission-critical production environments.

abb

Cadet
Most of your performance issues are due to the Realtek card. As TrueNAS is derived from FreeBSD, it uses the upstream Realtek NIC driver, which isn't the most polished driver.

Also, your inability to install packages suggests your networking may not be completely configured. First places to look are your default gateway and your DNS server settings.

The VM issues seem to corroborate your system not having a default gateway.

TrueNAS is absolutely used in mission-critical production environments.

DNS are set up correctly both on my dhcp server and on the truenas machine, you can check the photos below.
as for the VM I had set up a static IP address with the correct default gateway and still couldn't access the wan, and on top on that you don't need default gateway to access the lan (as long as you are on the same network)

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    30 KB · Views: 171

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Please attach the output from Network->Network Summary. For your VM, are you using the e1000 or VirtIO driver?

danb35

Hall of Famer
2.can't install any plugins-get pkg failed to install.
You shouldn't be installing any packages on Free/TrueNAS--it's an appliance, use it as-is and install any additional software you may need in jails and/or VMs.

abb

Cadet
You shouldn't be installing any packages on Free/TrueNAS--it's an appliance, use it as-is and install any additional software you may need in jails and/or VMs.
dude...
when I am going to plugins and trying to install a new plugin, lets say plex media server it's hang on 50% and then give me the error stated above

abb

Cadet
Please attach the output from Network->Network Summary. For your VM, are you using the e1000 or VirtIO driver?
notice:
I know that I have one APIPA interface, I have set it up manually, the RE0 is a 100MB interface that I use only for wake on LAN.
as you can see in the pictures I have attached, the virtual machine is connected through the UE0 interface which is connected to the lan and wan and I can ping public IP addressess and solve DNS names.
e1000 the VirtIO doesn't even show up on the os(probably requires a driver)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    139.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    19.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    19.6 KB · Views: 138

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I would as a first measure remove the USB ethernet completely and use only the other one. If that makes things run stable, I'd think about replacing the Realtek with an Intel or Broadcom based one. Possibly a dual port adapter, if you really need two ports.

abb

Cadet
I would as a first measure remove the USB ethernet completely and use only the other one. If that makes things run stable, I'd think about replacing the Realtek with an Intel or Broadcom based one. Possibly a dual port adapter, if you really need two ports.
I'll give it a try,thanks