Looking for a guide on direct connection

TheUsD

Contributor
Hey team,

Looking for someone to point me in the right direction or maybe even help me ask the right questions to seek the ansewrs / help I'm looking for.

I have a test lab I'm building and would like to connect my two ESXi hosts directly to the storage container via SPF+.
The storage container has a dual, SFP+ card and each host has a single SPF+ card. All hardware is verified compatible. I'm not sure if iSCSi or NFS is the appropriate form of connection.

The complete setup is of following:

Two Dell OptiPlex 7070 (which runs the VMs, using ESXI 6.7u3) and has the following networking capabilities:
1- single 1GB onboard nic
1 - 2 dual 1GB nic card
1 - single SFP+ nic card

One OptiPlex 7020 micro (this contains vSphere 6.7u3)
1 - single 1GB onboard nic

TrueNAS TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1

Thanks for your time and please let me know if here is anything else you need or have questions to.

Is the "storage container" as a FreeNAS/TrueNAS? It sounds like you are trying to use the storage device instead of a switch. You can do that, but it requires more networking knowledge. That said, there a number of low cost 10G network options. Mikrotik makes a small (4 port I think) 10G switch that was in the $100-200 range. In addition to adding network complexity, you would also be using some of the CPU cycles from your storage device. Without a better understanding of why you want to go that direction, I probably wouldn't recommend doing it that way.