Motherboard Ethernet Blasting Network

Hey all, first time poster and relative newbie here. I have TrueNAS 13 running on a home built PC connected to an external JBOD enclosure. The built in motherboard has a 1GB ethernet port, which I have used for a number of months with no problems. I recently got a 2.5GB Switch for my home network, and an intel 2.5GB NIC for my server PC. Installed that, also no problems over the past couple of weeks.

Just for funsies, I decided I wanted to try and connect the original motherboard to my router in addition to the NIC. The goal was to have the faster NIC handle file transfers and Sonarr/Radarr downloads etc, while the 1GB port would be dedicated to just Plex so that a background auto backup wouldn't cause Plex to stutter.

I connected the cable to the motherboard port, and crazy things started to happen. It basically turned my whole network into a DDOS simulator, preventing any device from connecting to the internet or each other no matter what. It even caused my main PC to slow down and chug a bit. The instant I unplugged from the 1GB, it was back to normal.

I've tried plugging and unplugging multiple times, always the same thing. Instant network freeze, instant network resume.

When I pull up Task Manager (Windows) on my main PC and go to Performance>Ethernet, It shows a crazy amount in the "Receive" category, anywhere from 100Mbps to 400Mbps that disappears when I unplug from the 1GB.

I've already tried rebooting the whole computer and Network>Interfaces>(1GB port)> Reset Configuration, no change.

Strangely enough, If I unplug from the 2.5NIC and then plug in the 1GB, it works just fine.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and what I can do to troubleshoot? Thanks for your time!

• Motherboard: Machinist X79
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2640
  • RAM: 32 GB ECC
  • Hard drives: 8 6TB SAS Drives, one hot spare
  • LSI 9207-8e HBA IT mode controller
  • Onboard Ethernet + I225 Chipset 2.5 NIC

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Having multiple NICs on the same subnet is not really supported, but this seems a lot nastier than the sort of problems you'd expect.

I'd find it interesting to see a packet capture from a machine on the network while this is going on.