iSCSI with multiple VLAN

dwchan69

Contributor
Is it possible to bind multiple VLAN/IP to a iSCSI target? I am able to do this right now where I have two distinct NIC, one is on my management network 192.168.10.### (1GB), and one is my high throughput network 192.168.200.### (10GB) with its own dedicated VLAN (200). They both have their own iSCSI portal for consumption. Is it possible to bind a new subnet / IP (e.g. 172.16.200.###) to my 10GB NIC, add another VLAN ID (VLAN 201) to the switch port, and assign a new iSCSI portal for the new segment

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, you'll have to add the VLANs in TrueNAS to set up "virtual interfaces" on the port. Configure the port as a VLAN trunk.

There might (probably will) be a bit of a momentary hiccup in traffic as you switch the port from untagged to tagged mode, so make sure your iSCSI initiators are ready for it.

Bear in mind that you won't have any inherent load-balancing going on from this, so the two VLANs will be jockeying for time on the single physical 10G link.

dwchan69

Contributor
I have 2 10G NIC right now in my system, but only utilizing one of them. So if I decide to do VLAN tagging on this NIC (iSCSI traffic), my best option would be to set this as load balance / fault over versus LAG?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
If it's possible I would suggest enabling both 10G NICs, setting different VLANs on each, and connecting your client systems to both VLAN 200 + VLAN 201. Set up a single portal that covers both and iSCSI MPIO support will handle some load-balancing and round-robin duties.

What are the client systems?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
If each host has enough interfaces, set up two dedicated 10G links from the ESXi machines - one in VLAN 200, one in VLAN 201 - and then configure the datastore paths as round-robin. Run your regular VM port groups on separate interfaces and enjoy the speed.

dwchan69

Contributor
Unfortunately, I am doing vlan on esx based on portgroup, not dedicated physical interface.