How to set multiple VLAN to an Interface

dwchan69

Contributor
Got a quick question, by looking at the Web GUI, I see how you can set VLAN interface where you assign the parent interface, VLAN tag, IP, etc. However, here is kind of a chicken or the egg question. Let say I have VLAN 200 and 201, and I am setting this on a brand new physical interface, and neither of that VLAN are set to default on the physical switch port. So which method do I use?

1. I start with the parent interface, set an IP and first VLAN tag, then add a VLAN interface on top of the parent interface, with another IP and the second VLAN tag
or
2. I start without touching the parent interface (no IP, no VLAN tag), I start with my first VLAN interface, add IP and VLAN tags, Than I add my second VLAN interface, add IP and the 2nd VLAN tag

dwc

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This is something that's best done from the console menu. You can create the VLAN interfaces on both the physical interfaces, and then assign them appropriate IPs.

1615569555094.png

Last edited:

dwchan69

Contributor
But do you assign anything to the physical interface , let say option 1, before you go and create the vlan interface , option 3.

Samuel Tai

Not necessarily. Since you're working from console, you don't need to configure anything on the physical interface, if it won't need anything in the final configuration. You can directly create the final config without worrying about intermediate connectivity.

dwchan69

Contributor
Ok. So just to be clear, if I plan to configure a brand new interface (with no settings) , as I have multiple nic on my TN, with multiple VLAN and IP settings, I can by pass setting anything to the parent (itself) and jump right onto the VLAN interface configuration.

Samuel Tai

Yes, that's correct. Option 3 will create the VLAN sub-interface and attach it to a physical NIC. You use option 1 after that to configure the VLAN sub-interface with IP settings.

dwchan69

Contributor
Got it. Does TN VLAN interface support LAG? I am going to test this with just one 10G NIC, but I do have 2 10G NIC to work with

Samuel Tai

Yes, the console menu will also allow you to create LAGGs via option 2. You may need to experiment with the order of creation. In my experience, LAGGs only work well if the upstream switch has LACP support. The order then is to create the LAGG over 2 physical interfaces. Then create the VLAN sub-interfaces within the LAGG. Finally, assign IPs to the VLAN sub-interfaces. Don't forget to set routes as well, and to make the corresponding changes on the switch side. In the GUI, you may need also to add "up" to the interface aux parameters.

Last edited: