SOLVED - Network Settings Issue (Failed to sync catalog - Apps)

lucv

Dabbler
Good day, my fellow TrueNAS community!

I have run into a what seems to me a network related issue, after trying to config a static IP for my server, my apps/update page have been getting errors. I'm unable to access or see any of the apps or check for a Scale update:
Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 12.27.18.png
Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 12.56.26.png

Here is what I have tried to resolve this issue:

1. My local time was not correct, I've corrected it via Scale's GUI:

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 12.16.09.png

2. I've set my network setting back to the DHCP protocol (I let Scale set the IPv4 and IPv6 *i think this is default),

Ive also reset the eno1 to default:

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 12.51.27.png

3. Ive tried a simple google.com ping and it seems to be working fine:

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 12.47.48.png

I've been researching and reading up on this for the past 2 weeks and I am getting nowhere, I'm considering doing a fresh install lol

It seems like it should be a simple fix, however, it seems like I'm missing the piece of the puzzle. If anyone can offer any guidance or point me in the right direction. Id greatly appreciate it, I'm eager to learn!

Thank you all! <3

chuck32

Guru
You could have proceeded with your old thread ;)

Can you ping GitHub?

.105 for the default route seems odd at first, this is your router IP?

Can you please unshare the dataset containing ix applications to rule out any interference from that, though I doubt it is the root cause as there's also a failed to connect error.

Edit: please add details of your network setup at home, your DNS server indicates a different IP. Not unusual to use a different DNS Server locally and also your DHCP does not need to be your router as far as I know, but I think this adds complexity that we need information about.

Just for testing please use only Google and cloudflare (8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1) as DNS servers. I'm on mobile and only know these on top of my head. Of everything is resolved, use whatever you like.

lucv

Dabbler
You could have proceeded with your old thread ;)

Can you ping GitHub?

.105 for the default route seems odd at first, this is your router IP?

Can you please unshare the dataset containing ix applications to rule out any interference from that, though I doubt it is the root cause as there's also a failed to connect error.

Edit: please add details of your network setup at home, your DNS server indicates a different IP. Not unusual to use a different DNS Server locally and also your DHCP does not need to be your router as far as I know, but I think this adds complexity that we need information about.

Just for testing please use only Google and cloudflare (8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1) as DNS servers. I'm on mobile and only know these on top of my head. Of everything is resolved, use whatever you like.
SOLVED! Thank you Chuck32, much appreciated!

1. I am unable to ping www.github.com, google.com seems to be working fine:
Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 16.13.40.png

2. Ive ran a terminal command ''netstat -nr'' (I'm using Mac) to see my default gateway for my router and you were correct it was different. I've made sure it's the correct IPv4 and IPv6

3. I've deleted the ix-app dataset folder

4. I've updated my Global Config following your instructions: Nameserver 1& 2:
8.8.8.8 & 1.1.1.1
...and made sure my IPv4 and IPv6 were as my routers

*quick noob question, does TrueNAS scale require a DNS at all times, even when using DHCP protocol?

5. 1/2 SOLUTION: After these steps (thanks to Chuck32) I was able to access my TrueNAS software update and I was able to access my apps.
and ping-ing www.githum.com was now working:
Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 16.31.14.png

Almost there...

The only error persisting now is the following:
Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 16.22.26.png

*This error went away over time as it updates every hour or so. All resolved!

Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue! <3

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
*quick noob question, does TrueNAS scale require a DNS at all times, even when using DHCP protocol?
If it's receiving its IP configuration via DHCP, that should include DNS, gateway, and other necessary settings. But configuring a server via DHCP isn't generally a good idea.
Nameserver 1& 2:
8.8.8.8 & 0.0.0.0
8.8.8.8 is fine, 0.0.0.0 isn't. If you aren't using your router for DNS (most home networks are), you should have a valid address for the second. Google's secondary is 8.4.4.8; Cloudflare's DNS addresses are 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1.

The SMB problem is that you're sharing a path that includes your apps dataset, which isn't a permitted configuration. It has nothing to do with ACLs.

lucv

Dabbler
If it's receiving its IP configuration via DHCP, that should include DNS, gateway, and other necessary settings. But configuring a server via DHCP isn't generally a good idea.

8.8.8.8 is fine, 0.0.0.0 isn't. If you aren't using your router for DNS (most home networks are), you should have a valid address for the second. Google's secondary is 8.4.4.8; Cloudflare's DNS addresses are 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1.

The SMB problem is that you're sharing a path that includes your apps dataset, which isn't a permitted configuration. It has nothing to do with ACLs.
Hey danb35 thank you for the heads up, completely agree. Im working on setting a static IP for my TrueNAS as well as a private DNS. Hopefully I can get a VPN working at some point in the future. In the works...

As for the SMB path issue, I've been looking into it and can't seem to locate the issue. Do you mind pointing me in the right direction (which page/what setting am I looking for):
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 12.36.40.png

chuck32

Guru
As for the SMB path issue, I've been looking into it and can't seem to locate the issue. Do you mind pointing me in the right direction (which page/what setting am I looking for):
You created a SMB share for the dataset ix-applications, remove that under shares.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You created a SMB share for the dataset ix-applications, remove that under shares.
...or for the pool that contains ix-applications.

lucv

Dabbler
So it seems that my ix-applications are located in the main storage pool, I rely on this pool to be SMB sharable so I can access it on my computer. I'm presumming that this is incorrect and that ix-applications should be created/installed on a separate pool that I'm not using as my storage pool and that I dont need it to be SMB shareable.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 18.21.28.png
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 18.21.37.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You should never share a pool's top level data set but first create a dataset for sharing in the pool and then share that. This is explicitly stated in the documentation. This way you can share pool/some-dataset and not pool/ix-applications.

danb35

Hall of Famer
presumming that this is incorrect and that ix-applications should be created/installed on a separate pool
Well, putting the apps on a separate SSD pool is a good practice for performance reasons, if nothing else. But the real issue is that you're sharing your whole pool. Recent versions of TrueNAS won't let you set up sharing that way, but if you'd already done it and then upgraded, that configuration's going to remain.

The recommended (and now required) practice is to share directories or (better) datasets from your pool, not the whole pool.

lucv

Dabbler
You should never share a pool's top level data set but first create a dataset for sharing in the pool and then share that. This is explicitly stated in the documentation. This way you can share pool/some-dataset and not pool/ix-applications.
Ahh that makes a lot more sense, thank you for clarifying Patrick & DanB. Am I able to create a new dataset under Genesis and transfer my existing datasets into the new one? If there's any way of avoiding transferring my 15TB again that would be grand haha

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You have existing datasets? Then why don't you share them but the entire pool instead?

lucv

Dabbler
You have existing datasets? Then why don't you share them but the entire pool instead?
Hey Patrick, yes of course that is an option. I would only prefer that my 3 existing datasets are all under one dataset rather than separate.
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 18.21.28.png

So Assets, Projects and Film_Archive to all be under one folder/dataset. Or would it be easier to just start again? I have all of this data backed up so in theory I can, was just wondering if there is a way of moving them all under one roof

chuck32

Guru
You don't need a backup for this, you can move mv the files to a new dataset structure or have a look at this approach.

lucv

Dabbler
Just wanted to express my gratitude to all of you, your patience is appreciated. Still wrapping my head around all of this, so your knowledge is greatly appreciated. I'm swarmed with my primary work atm, but will have a look into this soon and report back.

Thank you all, this community is a gem!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You don't need a backup for this, you can move mv the files to a new dataset structure or have a look at this approach.
No! Don't do that. While perfectly possible - and necessary if you actually put files on the top level dataset - this poster already has everything arranged in separate datesets. They just want only a single parent level share.

So with all sharing and all other potential users of these datasets disabled do this:
Code:
zfs create Genesis/SHARE # or any name you like
zfs rename Genesis/ASSETS Genesis/SHARE/ASSETS
zfs rename Genesis/PROJECTS Genesis/SHARE/PROJECTS
zfs rename Genesis/FILM_ARCHIVE/ Genesis/SHARE/FILME_ARCHIVE

Then adjust the path name of your share and restart the services you are using (probably SMB).

lucv

Dabbler
No! Don't do that. While perfectly possible - and necessary if you actually put files on the top level dataset - this poster already has everything arranged in separate datesets. They just want only a single parent level share.

So with all sharing and all other potential users of these datasets disabled do this:
Code:
zfs create Genesis/SHARE # or any name you like
zfs rename Genesis/ASSETS Genesis/SHARE/ASSETS
zfs rename Genesis/PROJECTS Genesis/SHARE/PROJECTS
zfs rename Genesis/FILM_ARCHIVE/ Genesis/SHARE/FILME_ARCHIVE

Then adjust the path name of your share and restart the services you are using (probably SMB).
Hey Parick,
Thank you so much for this clarification, it has cleared things up for me and I can understand the core of the issue. I am in the middle of following your advice and I'm trying to run the code commands you have shared however when I open up Shell in my GUI it gives me the following error:

''
admin@truenas[~]$ zfs create Genesis/SHARE
zsh: command not found: zfs
admin@truenas[~]$
''

I'm guessing this is because I am logged into my GUI as admin and not root.

Would a better course of action be to go directly into my TrueNAS's interface and go into Open TrueNAS CLI Shell or Open Linux Shell?

Or am I missing something more obvious here, chatGBT is not helping much either haha

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
1. Don't use the UI shell but SSH instead.
2. Type sudo su -, authenticate, then go ahead with the commands.

lucv

Dabbler
Hello all,

So I have been trying to establish the SSH connection from my computer to my TrueNAS server (on my home network).

What I have done:

1. Created an SSH private and public key on my computer: id_rsa and id_rsa.pub
2. In my TrueNAS GUI > Backup Credentials > SSH Keypairs > I've inputted (copy/pasted) my id_rsa and id_rsa.pub

3. Where I got stuck... when trying to create an TrueNAS GUI > Backup Credentials > SSH Connections, I get the following error:
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 12.04.16.png

*I am able to to create a manual SSH connection, however...

4. On my terminal the SSH connection is still showing as:
'' root@192.168.1.66: Permission denied (publickey). ''

I've checked things on my terminal/computer side and the ssh are established correctly, it seems to me that things are not setup correctly on my truenas side. How can I correctly setup the TrueNAS GUI > Backup Credentials > SSH Connections without getting the above error?

I would really like to crack this, thank you

danb35

Hall of Famer
How can I correctly setup the TrueNAS GUI > Backup Credentials > SSH Connections without getting the above error?
By not setting it up there at all. The SSH connections configured there are intended for use with ZFS replication and possibly other backup tasks (hence being under "backup credentials" in the GUI), not for a straightforward SSH terminal session.

The GUI way to set this up would be:
  • In System Settings -> Services -> SSH
    • Make sure it's turned on and enabled at boot
  • In Credentials -> Local Users -> root
    • Paste the SSH public key into Authorized Keys
    • Check "SSH password login enabled"