Network settings for Apps

vbtrek

Cadet
I am running Home Assistant app on my TrueNAS SCALE install, and trying to get Homekit to work. It seems like my Home Assistant is running on a different IP Address range, my router uses 10.1.14.x whereas Home Assistant seems to be getting a 172.16.0.x IP address. Homekit requires Home Assistant and the apple device to be running on the same network to work.

I previously ran a Docker for Home Assistant on a Synology and used the "Use same network as Docker Host" option which worked great.

Is there an equivalent "Use same network as Docker Host" option in the TrueNAS app?

truecharts

Guru
It looks like you are running TrueCharts, sadly enough we do not offer active support on this forums. So we would highly suggest to reach out on our support discord instead.

We are a Kubernetes-native oriented project, the IP ranges you see are the Kubernetes IP ranges.
Generally speaking we advice that using any form of mDNS or multicast is not supported, as wel also advice heavily(!) against hostNetworking.

The setting is available, but considering you have some issues already and taking into account we do not offer any support the minute you flip that switch... It might be best to reconsider if you really want to run less supported App setups?

On a different note:
The way these Smart-Home and Home-Streaming companies are pushing for multicast traffic, is not great from a networking perspective. As it's relatively troublesome to deal with :(

I am running Home Assistant app on my TrueNAS SCALE install, and trying to get Homekit to work. It seems like my Home Assistant is running on a different IP Address range, my router uses 10.1.14.x whereas Home Assistant seems to be getting a 172.16.0.x IP address. Homekit requires Home Assistant and the apple device to be running on the same network to work.

I previously ran a Docker for Home Assistant on a Synology and used the "Use same network as Docker Host" option which worked great.

Is there an equivalent "Use same network as Docker Host" option in the TrueNAS app?
Did you find a solution to this issue? I am having related problems with Home Assistant not being able to detect devices because it doesn’t have a real IP; Plex not being able to detect my dvr tuner because it doesn’t have a real IP; etc… Basically apps seem like a nightmare compared to TrueNAS Core jails and I regret ever “upgrading” to Scale.

truecharts

Guru
Did you find a solution to this issue?

By now we offer two options that might work:
- Directly attaching interfaces
- hostNetworking

Those are what we call "Advanced" settings and, as such, we cannot cover it with complete walkthrough-level support. But they should both work.

; Plex not being able to detect my dvr tuner because it doesn’t have a real IP; etc… Basically apps seem like a nightmare compared to TrueNAS Core jails and I regret ever “upgrading” to Scale.

I am having related problems with Home Assistant not being able to detect devices because it doesn’t have a real IP

Home Assistant can be very functional without a real IP, it's just the so-called "auto detect" that doesn't work. Which is because it uses a protocol, that is known to be terrible for anything byond a single-subnet home network (mDNS).

Plex not being able to detect my dvr tuner because it doesn’t have a real IP

Plex is a funny issue, because Plex actually moved away from mDNS and upnp to ensure they work cross-nat (which mDNS/upnp cannot do). It's still not 100% clear what the issue actually is with plex and some (not all) dvc tuners, we would love to get some diagrams to highlight what the issue is, because plex itself does not use mDNS as far as we're aware. Does the tuner use it?