Rsync Commands Failing (Catalog and Remote PC Sync)

Rvby1

Cadet
My TrueNAS Scale machine has suddenly started having issues with rsync.

I had a critical error show up about the BIOS time being wrong alongside critical errors about rsync failures, but the BIOS time error stopped appearing after I set the BIOS time to UTC. The rsync errors, however, have continued.

When my machine tries to sync the catalog, I get this error:

Failed to sync TRUENAS catalog: [EFAULT] Failed to clone 'https://github.com/truenas/charts.git' repository at '/var/run/middleware/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truenas_charts_git_master' destination: [EFAULT] Failed to clone 'https://github.com/truenas/charts.git' repository at '/var/run/middleware/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truenas_charts_git_master' destination: Cloning into '/var/run/middleware/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truenas_charts_git_master'... fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/truenas/charts.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.​

I also get an error whenever I try to rsync using an rsync job:
Error: [EFAULT] rsync command returned 255 - UNKNOWN. Check logs for further information.

I've tried to find the logs to see if they elucidate anything, but I can't seem to find a way to do that via the GUI, and I can't figure out how to find them via CLI.

I've confirmed that I can not ping github.com or the IP of the rsync-target on the TrueNAS machine. I can, however, ping other sites--like gitlab.com or google.com. On a machine that is plugged into the same switch and on the same network, I can ping github.com or the IP of the rsync-target without any issues.

Running traceroute on google.com, an address I CAN ping I get this, which seems abnormal:
Code:
traceroute google.com
traceroute to google.com (74.125.197.100), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
 1  pk-in-f100.1e100.net (74.125.197.100)  6.277 ms  6.379 ms  6.317 ms

And the same for github.com, which I CAN NOT ping:
Code:
traceroute github.com
traceroute to github.com (140.82.114.3), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
 1  lb-140-82-114-3-iad.github.com (140.82.114.3)  7.268 ms  7.179 ms  7.137 ms

I have tried to change from my default Comcast-nameservers over to something like 1.1.1.1, but the issue persists.

It seems like a lot of folks say this is caused by timezone issues. My BIOS clock is set to the current UTC time, while my TrueNAS machine is set to America/Los_Angelos, which is my current timezone. Is this configuration correct/reasonable?

Anyone have any thoughts on what's going on?

This issue seems very similar to this issue, but I haven't had the luck they had with it stopping...

Rvby1

Cadet
Alright, woke up today to a new error. I think this is the root cause of problems, but I don't quite know how to go about fixing it.

Code:

NTP health check failed - No Active NTP peers: [{'SERVER: NOT_SELECTABLE [51.81.226.229]'}, {'SERVER: NOT_SELECTABLE [15.204.198.96]'}, {'SERVER: NOT_SELECTABLE [15.204.87.223]'}]​

It sounds like this is somehow related to the time information being off in my BIOS, but I've confirmed the time information is correct. I can confirm that I can not ping any of the servers listed in the error. Again, the time information on my TrueNAS machine is accurate...
Code:
date
Wed Feb  7 09:29:30 PST 2024

Rvby1

Cadet
Alright, I think I found the core of most of my issues. Seems like my xFinity router decided to pause traffic to my TrueNAS machine. I am confused, as I was able to ping some addresses, but not others, when I would have assumed that pausing traffic would pause, well, all traffic, not just some.

My NTP issues and rsync problems have both vanished.

I am still running into the TrueNAS Catalog sync failures, though. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going wrong there?