Snapshot timestamp, deletion and rollback question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreePierre

Cadet
Hello,

Some basic questions about Freenas... maybe too basic because not found any clear answer.

1°) A periodic snapshot task is scheduled :
In Freenas > Storage > Snapshots, there is a list with all snapshots, but no timestamp is displayed.
- where is dispayed the timestamp of a snapshot ?

2°) When deleting a snapshot, is it still possible to retrieve the data that are stored in the dataset, the whole data I mean, not only the last modified ?
(I understood that snapshots don't copy the whole dataset, but only keep the modified data)

3°) When rollbacking the dataset to a previous snapshot, are the next snapshots kept or are they lost ?

Regards,

Pierre.

1°) The snapshot name contains the date and timestamp as part of the name. E.g. from my system, I see names like "auto-20170123.1700-30d", which tells me that this was an automatic snapshot, taken on 2017-01-23 at 1700h, and will be retained for 30 days.

I'll leave the other two questions to those with more knowledge.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
When deleting a snapshot, is it still possible to retrieve the data that are stored in the dataset, the whole data I mean, not only the last modified ?
Yes, of course.
When rollbacking the dataset to a previous snapshot, are the next snapshots kept or are they lost ?
Depends on what you do, but you can have it either way by playing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.