Duplicate a snapshot? (Make an "auto" snapshot permanent)

Is it possible to "copy" or "duplicate" a snapshot, or possibly convert an automatically generated snapshot into a permanent one?

Here is why I ask:

Let's say you have periodic snapshots of a certain dataset, which have a lifespan of 6 months. There is a particular snapshot that is almost 6 months old, but you want to save it permanently, as sort of an archive.

Is this currently possible in the GUI? via the shell?

I don't want to create or clone a new writable dataset from the snapshot. I just want to mark an "auto" snapshot to be saved permanently, so it will never get deleted after its expiration.

EDIT: Another way to understand my question is with another question: how does FreeNAS's Periodic Snapshot Tasks know when a snapshot is "expired" to delete it? Does it go by the name? By its timestamp? By some other log that is directly related to the specific periodic snapshot task? If I delete the task, are all the previously auto-created snapshots "safe" for eternity? If I re-create the task with similar options and the same naming scheme, do the previously auto-created snapshots fall back into an expiration schedule?

Last edited: