how to rollback replicated snapshot (on another system)

Status
Not open for further replies.

luler

Cadet
Hello,

there´s one thing i don´t get about snapshot replication.
Lets say I have a daily snapshot task of my Datapool. Everyday this snapshots are replicated to another server.
Now lets assume my pool is heavily degraded or lost or I want a new, bigger one. Happily I have my replicated snapshots, but these are on another freeenas-system. How can I get these snapshots from the remote System rollbacked on a new installed pool on my mainserver? Can I simply click on "rollback" on the remote Server? But how shall this server know to which location it should rollback the replicated snapshots? I dont understand this... Hope you guys can help me.

Evi Vanoost

Explorer
No, rollback means you are rolling back your volume to that particular snapshot. This is useful if someone eg. deleted all the data in your volume, you can rollback the volume to that snapshot and get all your data back.

To get your stuff back from a replicated backup to a new server, you just have to reverse the ZFS send. Instead of replicating from your main server to your backup, you can replicate your ZFS pool from your backup to your main server.

Here is a brief explanation on how this all works: https://pavelanni.github.io/oracle_solaris_11_labs/zfs/zfs_backup/

I'm not sure whether that all is covered in the GUI, you may have to get down to the terminal. In theory, you could do it via the GUI, just disable the replication tasks from your main server, set up a replication task in the other direction (from your backup system).

Status
Not open for further replies.