SOLVED SMB Share - Recycle bin Folders' Permissions missing

Castigo

Dabbler
Hi everyone!

I run my SMB shares off TrueNAS 12.0-U2, the system runs flawlessly for the most part. I do run a few SMB shares in parallel and the problem I'm running into is present in all of them. Here's what happening:

each time I try to remove a folder and its files from the recycle bin in my SMB share, I get an error stating that I lack permissions from the owner.

WAIT! All individual files in the folders have the right permissions and I can remove all them in a batch, no problem. Not if I try to remove the folder, though.
Also, the folders cannot be removed form windows explorer even if empty.

I can remove everything if I SSH into TrueNAS and run rm for the recycling bin, no problem either.

The folder cannot be removed from windows explorer until I re-apply my Share ACL in TrueNAS' GUI. No changes needed, no need to strip it or anything, just re-apply it. After that everything works, untile the next folder gets placed in the Bin and the issue starts presentig itself again.

I can see the folders' permissions in windows security tab (both for my user and the relative group) and they're flagged as Special Permissions. Files' permissions are perfectly normal, as they are in the Dataset ACL.

Has anyone experienced this problem? For me it started after I rebuild all my SMB shares after the in-place upgrade to 12.0-U1. Thank you for any tips you're willing to share.

Ok, now some screenshots of the SMB settings:

Share ACL.JPG
SMB Filesystem.JPG
SMB settings.JPG

Last edited:

Castigo

Dabbler
This is for testing purposes. Try setting the auxiliary parameter on the share ixnas:zfsacl_map_modify = true.
I'll try right now. I'll keep you posted. Thank you!

Castigo

Dabbler
Ok,
  1. I verified that the Share still presented the problem. A series of empty folders.
  2. I put
    Code:
    ixnas:zfsacl_map_modify = true
    in the auxiliary field for the Share and saved
  3. I restarted SMB for good measure
  4. I went in the recycle bin and I could cancel the folders, no problem
Thank you for the suggestion. :smile::smile::smile: Is the command meant to allow setting the ACL of the new items? Did I set up something wrong before?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Ok,
  1. I verified that the Share still presented the problem. A series of empty folders.
  2. I put
    Code:
    ixnas:zfsacl_map_modify = true
    in the auxiliary field for the Share and saved
  3. I restarted SMB for good measure
  4. I went in the recycle bin and I could cancel the folders, no problem
Thank you for the suggestion. :smile::smile::smile: Is the command meant to allow setting the ACL of the new items? Did I set up something wrong before?
The parameter loosens up how we interpret the write bit for ACL entries with special entries in the presence of what we deduce to be the ACL representation of POSIX write. I'll improve the heuristics for it and turn the parameter on as default for U3.

Castigo

Dabbler
The parameter loosens up how we interpret the write bit for ACL entries with special entries in the presence of what we deduce to be the ACL representation of POSIX write. I'll improve the heuristics for it and turn the parameter on as default for U3.

That's fantastic, I'll set the parameter as you suggested untile U3 then! Thank you for taking time to help me out, I'll set the post as solved!

Have a nice day!